Sunday, December 16, 2018

Wreaths

 Yesterday was Wreaths across America and I joined in the remembrance. That's what it is, a time to remember our veterans that have gone to their final rest. The length of their service is not important, whether they served in combat or not is not important, what is important is that they made that commitment. It's true that some were drafted into service and perhaps serving wasn't their first choice but they answered that call. It is that, that is the heart of it. To answer the call to duty, any time, any place and under any circumstance is the mark of a patriot. That isn't to say those unable to serve, for whatever reason that may be, are not patriots. Many serve the nation in a non-military fashion and their contributions are vital. But Wreaths Across America is for veterans.
 It has become a tradition with me. I purchase a few wreaths and place them along with the thousands of others being placed on the graves of our veterans. I ensure that my daughter in laws father gets his wreath and I have chosen Col. Comegys veteran of the civil war this year. There are two other veterans in the Greensboro cemetery that I knew personally and they have family about. They always get a wreath as well. Their families take care of that. That's the reason I chose Col. Comegys. I don't believe he has any relatives living in the area. Never have I seen a flower or other signs that he has been visited. I make sure he gets a Flag on Memorial Day and Veterans Day. I make sure he gets a wreath for Christmas. All I know of him is that he was a Col. in the Union Army during the civil war. I did stumble upon a newspaper article that described his death. He had just left the barber shop on main street and had a massive heart attack in the street. He passed away on that spot. That's about all I know of the good Col. And as much as I enjoy history and genealogy it is all I want to know about him, or rather, it is enough. He was a veteran of the war and that is enough. What his political views may have been I have no clue. What his stance on the issues of his day I can only guess. That he was a man of some prominence I am certain. Whatever material things he may have acquired, whatever stature in the community he enjoyed, all of that is long gone. It is my hope that someone remembers him, I would find it sad, should he be forgotten entirely. Well, I haven't forgotten him you could say. Thing is, can you remember someone you never knew? Yes I believe you can, you can remember their name and his was William Comegys. I wonder if they called him Bill? Bill seems a bit informal for a Colonel though. Still he was just a man like all of us.
 When placing the wreaths on the graves of those veterans it is requested that there name be spoken out load, and a Thank You for your service given. I fulfilled that request, first with Dominic Albino, known to me as Tom, and then with Col. William Comegys. I didn't call him Bill as I feel like I barely know the man. One shouldn't be presumptuous and remain formal until permission is given to be otherwise. I'm quite certain there are many other Veterans lying in the Greensboro cemetery that are unknown at this time. The original records of internment have been lost over time. If there are no markings, no indication on the stone, it can be difficult to determine. If family is around that makes it easy, otherwise a search of records would have to be done on each person. And that's a time consuming undertaking. It is far more than I am willing to undertake. I wouldn't know where to begin. Perhaps it would make a great project for a civic group. I've been told there are more people interred in the Greensboro cemetery than the population of the town, several times over. A daunting task indeed to identify them all.
 I'm thinking this coming year I may do more research into the Colonel. I will attempt to learn more about him and his service. I realize that there is so much more to the man than the fact that he is a Veteran. I'm certain that was just a small part of his life. It is that way with all veterans, at least those that make it home, for the others, it ended their lives. I think it is important to remember that being a veteran shouldn't define you. Yes you are entitled to recognition for that service, you should never be forgotten for that, but Veterans are people like you and I. Veterans are not some abstract idea of another sacrificing their life for you. Veterans are flesh and blood people with hopes and dreams like all the rest. It's a fallacy that those hopes and dreams are set aside to serve. I can assure you I carried those hopes and dreams with me my entire Naval career. I was fortunate indeed to be able to carry them back home, many were not so fortunate. It was a gift from the almighty.
 For that reason I believe it is fitting to place those wreaths on the graves of our veterans. What better time to remember than the Christmas season. It is the time when we all wish to be home! It is the time of childhood memories, good food and better company. The laying of a wreath is appropriate. Christians tend to think of wreaths as a Christmas thing. That's partially true but their history dates much farther back than that. A wreath is a symbol of strength. That's why it is made with evergreens. Evergreens survive even the harshest weather, keeping their green. We place a wreath on those graves not to celebrate Christmas, but to celebrate the strength of conviction it took for those veterans to answer that call. A veterans religious belief or lack of that does not enter into any of that. The evidence of that can be seen at Arlington National Cemetery were every grave has a wreath placed on it.
 In this time of political correctness and the fear of offending I view this new tradition as a breath of fresh air. It is my hope that people do come to view and understand the significance of this wreath laying. It is a common bond. It is a small act that can serve to unite us all. Race, creed, or political affiliation has no role in this. In death, all are equal. With the laying of these wreaths we acknowledge the strength of the warrior, those that kept us free. We should speak their names, give thanks and reflect upon that.     

No comments:

Post a Comment