Monday, December 3, 2018

Commemorate and Educate

 In a few days we remember the anniversary of an " unprovoked and  dastardly attack  by Japan " on our nation at Pearl Harbor. December the 7th 1941, a date that will live in infamy, will not go unobserved as long as I am around. I lost no family members in that attack, I didn't lose any family members or relatives in the ensuing war that followed that attack, but I knew many that fought in that war. The greatest generation they have been called and I believe that moniker is fitting. Truly these men and women were of the greatest generation of Americans to protect her. Those that gained our independence are their equal, but fought for a different cause. But all of that has been written about many times. I believe all of that still inspires many to write today, I being one of them. There will never be enough words to express my gratitude and my admiration for their accomplishments. For the creation and preservation of a country so great as ours words are inadequate.
 That being said I wanted to relate something that inspires me. You see a man named George Coffin, uncle to my wife, served during that war. He had some medical condition that prevented his serving on the front lines in a combat situation but he served nonetheless. He was in the Army Air Force supporting the effort on the ground on American soil. There are those that would say he was no war hero and by my definition of hero that would be correct. But this is 2018, he wore the uniform and served honorably and so is deserving of the title hero! He became a hero, in my thinking, by the life he lived following that war. He returned to his parents house and remained there his entire life. Never married, for reasons we will never know, he was devoted to his Mother. Uncle George as I came to know him was a kind and gentle man. As some point he purchased a " banner " of sorts. Printed on velvet are the words " Remember Pearl Harbor " along with an American eagle and other embellishments. This banner was placed in his front window every year in commemoration. I don't know what year that began but know it continued to his death. He lived to be 94 years old. He suffered from a medical condition that limited his mobility and toward the end he could barely walk at all. He was legally blind, barely able to distinguish light from dark. It was those two conditions that led to his death. He fell down the stairs in his home.
 I have that banner. It was given to me for safe keeping and I intend to do just that. But I will not keep it hidden away in that effort. That banner will placed in my front window in commemoration of Pearl Harbor and Uncle George. I wasn't alive when that attack took place 77 years ago. Not many survive today that fought in that war. My father, my uncles, and George are all gone now.
 Perhaps it isn't politically correct these days to remind the generations following that war what happened that day. I have watched as statues of Confederate soldiers, heroes, have been toppled in an effort to erase that history. My own 2nd great grandfather fought on the side of the Union but that does not diminish the service of those that served the confederacy. As Americans we must never forget our past and what has led us to where we stand today. We must not be deterred by taking the easy path. We must never forget what happened. " No matter how long  it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. " I am reminded with the memory of my father, my uncles and George. It truly is a date that will live in Infamy.
 There is a premeditated invasion taking place right now that many fail to acknowledge. Many failed to see the signs of Japans intent as well. Yes, hindsight is 20/20. And that is the very reason you should look to the past and remember. Don't just commemorate, educate! Teach your children to look to the past as a reference to the future. Not much changes in the world as far as human ambition goes. It does wear different disguises though. Look to the past and you will have seen it before and so not be easily fooled.
 I will place that banner in my front window today where it will remain until December the 8th.            

No comments:

Post a Comment