Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Holiday travel

 I'll be going over the river and through the woods today. I'm not going to Grandmothers house though, going to visit my son in upstate New York. It's a drive of a little over six hours or so. Not such a bad drive all told. I'm certainly glad it isn't in a one horse open sleigh! I would have had to have started last week. You know I was listening to Christmas music and the song Sleigh Ride came on. It is one of my favorites. Then I got to thinking about it. Wait a minute you have a single horse pulling a sleigh through a snowstorm? Isn't that a bit cruel? And I'm certain I heard the crack of a whip! So, you're beating that poor animal as well? And I'm supposed to celebrate! Well, gotta say I'm a bit offended by all of that. All the more reason for me to ride in my merry Oldsmobile. Have you heard that song? Well, I reviewed the lyrics and I'm not certain about it either. He is riding in his merry Oldsmobile with Lucille. " Then he says, you can go as far as you like with me, in my merry Oldsmobile. " That's rather suggestive isn't it? To be fair in the prior lyrics he does mention going to the church to get married first. Well that song was written in 1905 so. Later Lucille would pick a fine time to leave Kenny Rogers. I'm thinking that Lucille really gets around! And now I'm being judgmental. And all I want to do is visit my son for his birthday, that's on the 21st. He and his twin were born on the first day of winter. I've often wondered what that means. I'm certain the occult folks would have something to offer in that regard.
 The boys will be 43 this year. Hard to believe at times, and at others not so much. I still call them the boys, or the kids, and always will. That's because that is what they are to me. Neither of them are offended by that. I raised them not to be sissies! They don't always agree with my politics and that isn't an issue either. I'm right and they are wrong. Give'em time they will figure it out for themselves. Occasionally I will discuss politics with one, but hardly ever with the other. The reason is simple enough, one is more involved than the other. They are twins and as different as day and night. I did my best to raise them as individuals. Can I say that? I raised them? Or is that incorrect these days. Should it be, I enabled them? OMG I'm an enabler. Whatever the case may be I encouraged them to pursue their interests individually, based on there likes and interests. No pressure to be like your brother. We didn't dress them alike and all that. The plan this year is be with the one in New York Friday morning and share breakfast, then be back in Maryland to share supper with his brother. It will be the first time in quite a few years seeing them both on their birthdays. I'm looking forward to it.
 I don't recall the last Christmas we shared together. I seem to have misplaced that memory. I know it is in there somewhere. I'm certain it has been quite a few years though. As with a lot of modern families we are spread out all over the place. I get a kick out of those Hallmark movies were the family all flies in to share the holiday together. The parents always have a huge house able to accommodate everyone. Money is never an issue. They may talk about it, but it always works out great. All the presents are there, the meal is sumptuous and all is well in the world. I guess things like that do happen, I've just never seen it. With the loss of my sister I have become more aware of the passing of time. It is a stark reminder that tomorrow is never guaranteed to anyone. Still you can't let that knowledge dampen your spirit. You should use that knowledge as motivation to make the effort. Thing is, it shouldn't be viewed as an effort at all but an obligation. You do owe it to yourself and to those you love and care about to show them how much they mean to you. It takes more than pretty words, more than material gifts, it takes you. The most precious gift you can give anyone is a piece of yourself. It is even precious when you do it for selfish reasons! If nothing else, do it for yourself.
 So, over the river and through the woods I go. I will try to do that in the most environmentally friendly way possible, abusing no animals along the way. My merry Oldsmobile will leave a carbon footprint and I'll just have to ask forgiveness for that. It is still better than beating a horse with a whip!    

In case you don't know the song. This cartoon amused me, can you imagine if they showed it today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment