Monday, July 31, 2017

are you entertained ?

 I have seen in the news several times lately that there are changes being made to what electronics are being allowed in your carry on luggage. The TSA saying if it is larger than a cell phone it must be scanned. From what they are reporting some folks are upset by all of this. I don't fly very often, last time was a few years back and so I am not overly concerned. My first thought was, so what ? I couldn't see where it would be an issue, I mean they are not saying you can't take it on, just that it has to be scanned. Turns out people are complaining about the inconvenience of the process. Well, we certainly wouldn't want anyone to be inconvenienced ! These electronics that they are taking with them are being used for what purpose during the flight ? Entertainment for the most part. Have we, as a society, developed such a need to be " entertained " that it is inconvenient to ensure the plane won't get blown up ? We can't go a few hours without electronic entertainment ! What happened to reading a book or magazine ? What happened to, gasp, actually talking with another person. Yes, you can even talk with people you have never met before, strangers. I don't recommend talking religion or politics though, call that a travel tip !
 I do think we are developing a problem here. The problem is the requirement for some sort of outside stimulus all the time. What I mean is, what ever happened to being alone with your thoughts ? I don't know about others, but I need that alone time just as much as I need to be entertained, maybe even more so. It could be that all this noise isn't allowing us to hear our own thoughts. Could be that is why so many people are saying so many stupid things lately ! Through all the static that is being generated the message is being lost. Maybe it is time to just turn off all that stuff. There are just too many distractions is my thinking. There is just no other explanation for all this nonsense I keep hearing. If all you do is listen to what others are saying, you don't have time for an original thought !
 Seeing that on the news did make me think about this need we have to be entertained all the time. I wonder just what has happened. Are we suffering, as a society, from sensory overload ? Is that the root cause of all the unrest we are experiencing in the country today. We just can't seem to catch our breath. One scandal after another in the news. Crime and corruption are rampant. The criminals are being coddled, the lazy being cared for by the state, and the workers taxed to support it all ! Free medical for everyone, but no one has to pay for it ! Has anyone really thought about that ? Apparently not is my guess. Whatever you want to do is just fine. In fact if you don't agree with it I will call you a string of names. Bigot, migyonist, racist, and deplorable are always a good place to start. Then I'll tell you how you are free to practice your religion. Well you can practice it as long as I approve of it anyway. But if I want my cake or picture taken you have to do that ! I'll sue you if you don't, I don't care what your religion says, but you are free to practice it. After all, I'm inclusive. Do those people ever hear what they are saying ? Do they ever think about what they are saying ?
 You know when I was a kid there were two fundamental forms of punishment that was handed out by my parents. The big one, at least in their mind, was corporal. Yes, I got spanked. Yes, an instrument was often employed, namely a belt. Yes, it hurt ! The other form of punishment, the one I hated the most was having to just sit. No, I didn't have to sit in the proverbial corner but I had to sit somewhere. Wherever that was there was no television, radio, books, magazines, pens or paper. I was to just sit there, and as Dad always said, think about what you have done. I had to just sit there and contemplate whatever actions had landed me in this spot. I hated that. Then after what might be fifteen minutes or a few hours, if he remembered, Dad would come by and ask. Do you know why you are sitting here ? You had best have the correct response or no parole was issued. It did make me think about my choices. I gained an understanding of risk and reward.
 I do think that may be what America needs. A time out ! Shut off all the distractions. Pull the plug on the whole thing and have a few days of silence. Let people think about things for a while. Just sit there and think about it ! No arguments, no discussions, no talking heads. You have to think about whatever it is that you have chosen. Maybe, just maybe some of these fools would see the error of their ways. Well, that is a lot to ask for I guess. Sadly, for the most part all I hear is " let me entertain you. " Many do seem to be distracted a great deal. Think about this ? Who, in America gets paid the most money ? As a general rule, entertainers. Whether they are singers, actors, football players or whatever, their job is to entertain us. And these are the folks we are listening too ? Hmm, like the character in the movie Gladiator I have to ask, are you not entertained ?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment