Saturday, July 22, 2017

a choice

 It appeared on the news once again, just a quick spot, that an Atheist group was suing the Gideon's. They want the placing of Bibles in hotels and motels to stop. They are of course trying to use the " establishment " clause , that's the first amendment to the constitution in case you don't know that, as the rule. I'm sorry but I just don't see it that way. In the first place none of those hotels and motels are owned and operated by the government. The amendment says, the government shall make no law establishing a religion. It also says they can't prohibit the free exercise thereof. So, it seems clear enough to me, that if I want to give a hotel or motel a copy of the Bible to place in their rooms I have a legal right to do so. At the same time those Atheists have a right to hand out any anti-Bible literature they would like. Things is, the owner of the hotel or motel isn't the government and can accept or reject either one, being the good citizens that they are. The government can't tell them what to do in that regard ! No one is saying you have to read the Bible as a condition to stay there. You are supposed to read that long notice on the back of the hotel/motel room door though, how many have read that ? You know, the notice of terms and conditions and studying the fire escape routes. But whatever, they just need to get over all of that.
 The thing I just don't get about these atheists and other non-believers is why they get so upset. If you don't believe in something why do you insist on removing any mention or sign of a God ? I'm convinced that Unicorns don't exist yet I don't insist they be removed from the toy stores or any images of them shown to my children. Hey big foot is just a myth and yet they make documentaries about that. I'm quite certain the government has spent money researching that myth as well. I don't see anyone protesting that however. Let's sue the government for promoting big foot. I don't know I'm just a bit confused I guess. If you don't believe something why does it seem to bother you so ? If you truly believe there is no God, no one holding you accountable for anything, what is the problem ? Could it be that your belief isn't as firm as you would like others to believe ? What I mean is, are you trying to hedge your bet just a little bit ? If I can make everyone stop talking about this, I can then have a clear conscience ? Out of sight, out of mind. I am a firm believer in this, no one can make you believe anything. Belief is a personal choice. I can be made to say things, under duress to extricate myself from an unpleasant situation, but does that mean I believe it ?
 Look I'm a Christian. All that means is I believe in Christ. It doesn't mean you can't believe something different. I see the Star of David and that says to me, those folks are Jewish. That is all it says though, it doesn't say they want to oppress me or make me change my belief. I can see the symbol for Islam. I don't agree with their teachings but I don't insist their Mosques be torn down. Furthermore if they want to place a copy of their Quran in a hotel room I say, go for it ! I guarantee you I will not be harmed by that. Hey you can put a copy of Harry Potter in there if you want to, I could care less. You know why ? Because I don't believe in Mohamed or Harry Potter !  Geez folks, it is a simple thing.
 I catch a lot of flak about this climate change thing. I say tell me when the climate wasn't changing. That's right I am a climate denier ! The government is establishing a whole branch of science to prove that climate change exists. Hint : it already is, changing that is. The thing is it is all part of a natural cycle. I do not believe that man has made any significant contribution to that change. Green house gases and all that stuff ? Yeah, alright if you say so. I don't believe it. I also don't feel a need to insist that you change your mind. I mean, I wouldn't want it against the law for you to believe that by not using hair spray in an aerosol can you are saving the planet !  Save away I say, if that is what you believe. I will tell you you're wrong and just keep on doing what I'm doing. That's because that is what I believe. Of course there is a distinction to be made between climate change and religious belief.  If I am wrong I would be contributing to the demise of the planet. If I am wrong about God what have I lost ? So, I guess what I'm saying is this. Don't be upset about what you don't believe, concentrate instead upon what you do believe. You might surprise yourself with what you discover. Read the book, or don't read the book, your choice. I'll just leave it right here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment