Thursday, July 20, 2017

Going Clamming

 And so today I celebrate another birthday. Yup, I will have been here on this globe for 64 years. That is 6.4 decades ! Ah well, time goes on . My plan is to go clamming. That is an activity I probably last did about 1969 or so. That was 48 years ago ! Man, I really do need to get out more often. But seriously I have certainly eaten plenty of clams over the years just haven't had the pleasure of digging them. I guess the truth is I just never tried. Isn't it funny how we can go along year after year thinking about certain things and never get around to actually doing it ? I mean, I have lived close to some body of water all my life. That is the result of being born on an island, spending twenty years in the Navy and retiring on a peninsula. Today however, I'm 64 and I'm going clamming. I ordered my rake from Walmart and I'm all set. Off to Assateague State Park to scratch up a few. It will be a wonderful day I'm certain of that. My wife, bless her heart, has never dug a clam in her life ! I can't allow her to bear that burden any longer so today she gets initiated.
 I went online to check for a good clamming area. The website says that Assateague State Park offers fishing and clamming there. Assateague is famous for their wild ponies and the website warns about that. They have to give you the obligatory warnings, you know, state the common sense rules in case you just don't have any. They are wild animals and will bite and kick you ! Stay well away from them. Do not feed them. Well as long as they don't try to take my clams we will get along just fine I'm certain of that. If they try to take my clams I will go all cowboy on their butts and round'em up and herd'em out ! It is a problem I didn't have when clamming at Hands' Creek on Long Island. It could make the whole deal more interesting.
 I'm getting off this computer now and going clamming. It will be like a trip back in time for me. That Walmart clam rake does have a metal handle that is in sections and that is different. I don't have a basket or an inner tube either. What I do have is a net bag with a ring at the top. You can put a belt through a loop and tie it around your waist. That is what the instructions say and I guess some folks clamming use that method. I'll give it a go. I figure to fill up my cooler with them to bring them home. And so I'll say something I haven't said since 1969, I'm going clamming. Sounds good to me.
 Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You don't need a license to clam at Assateague State park all you have to do is pay admission to the park. As I checked that out I discovered I am eligible for the " Golden Age Pass. "  This pass only costs you ten dollars and is good for the rest of your life ! In fact it is good at all Maryland State Parks and entitles you to discounts and such on various activities. I will be getting my " Golden Age " pass you can be sure of that. Who knew ? I'm going clamming in my golden years. And just why do I find that amusing ? I'm not certain I can answer that but I'll just be smiling all day.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment