Sunday, July 23, 2017

men, not government

 Charity is a gift not a right. The political climate is certainly a hostile one at this time and this notion of charity as a right is foremost in the discussion. I suppose you could say a lot of folks just feel it isn't fair. Why should some receive charity as an entitlement while others struggle to provide. Should I be made to struggle to provide that charity to others ? Well that is the crux of the matter isn't it ? Almost everyone agrees that we should help our fellow man. Almost everyone will tell you how charitable they are. At the same time almost everyone will tell you they should have that choice, to give or not, as well.
 Isn't the notion of charity a Christian virtue ? I certainly believe that it is. I hear many people insisting that our nation isn't a Christian nation, we have separated church and state. Well then, why is the government extending charity ? The government has even made some forms of charity an entitlement ! You can't have it both ways you know. The money the government has is the people's money, yours and mine. We should decide who gets charity and who does not. It could be I choose not to be charitable, that's my right isn't it ? There is no law that says I must act in a Christian fashion. Hey, that's on me right.
 Charity is the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need. Notice it is voluntary. Charity isn't an entitlement. Charity is something given, not received. What is received is a gift. I was taught to be grateful for any gift I received. It appear to me that many are now demanding gifts. I find the whole concept distasteful and somewhat repugnant. I fail to understand why anyone would think they are entitled to charity. I can certainly understand hoping for it, wishing for it, and  praying for it but demanding it ? No, I just don't understand that at all. I have no more right to demand you provide charity than I can demand you " love " me. And it doesn't matter a wit how much I might " love " you.
 The purpose of government is to govern. And just what is governing ? To keep things in check, provide law and order, and establish standards. A governor is supposed to keep something operating within a confined set of limits, generally speaking high and low. A range is to be maintained. Now can Charity be measured ? Can Charity be governed ? What I mean is, how much charity is to be extended and to whom ? Can a set of parameters be established for that ? I don't think that is possible. That is like saying how much is too much ? How much money can you make before you have to give it away ? How many French fries are enough ? If you are met with unfortunate circumstances, whether by choice, design or just bad luck does that make you immediately qualified for charity ? Should that be law ? I don't think so, yet our government is doing just that. And what is the result ? Many are starting to believe that charity is a right, an entitlement earned by just being physically here ! No need to contribute to society exists, I should be able to rely upon charity for my needs ! I just can't wrap my mind around such a concept.
 Well I know that this is sometimes called humanitarian aid. We are helping out fellow humans. Really it is just a generic term to say we are giving charity to everyone. It is an attempt to eliminate the Christian aspect of that charity. It is a polite way to include others in this giving. All religions do teach that we should be giving, charitable to our fellow man, I understand it is not solely a Christian virtue. The bottom line being charity is a virtue. Can a government codify virtue ? A rather grey area wouldn't you say ? Which virtues are chosen ? It is a slippery slope indeed. Virtues are something  practiced on an individual basis ! When we codify virtues we call that religion. The government isn't a religion.  John Adams said, " a government of laws, not of men. " Of course Adams did believe in the virtue of a righteous people doing the governing. That is the foundation of our government. Doing the right thing not because we have to, ( law ) but because we know it to be right. Charity is best left to the virtue of men, not government.    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment