Saturday, July 29, 2017

new places and old memories

 I've lived here in Greensboro for about 25 years now and I'm getting to know the place. I should say, I'm getting to know place names. An example is, red bridges. If I say that to another person that has lived here for any length of time they know where I am talking about. I might say, the perch are running up to red bridges. Then that person knows exactly where I mean, although the sign at the entrance says, " Christian Park. " Another example would be, saying I live in Greensboro. Someone that lives on the western shore of the Chesapeake bay, say Baltimore, would just call it the shore. The " shore " for those of you from Long Island, is like saying The Hamptons. The shore (eastern shore of Maryland ) contains many towns. They are just all grouped together under that one heading. The folks that are born and raised here never say, I was born on the shore, or I live on the shore. It is only the wannabes and those that move here that might say that. The shore carries, in some folks minds anyway, a certain distinction with it. It is a status thing to some but not to the natives. To the natives it is just home. When I arrived some twenty five years ago the " shore " thing wasn't a big deal. In fact the then Governor of Maryland, Donald W Schafer referred to the eastern shore as the " shit house side " of Maryland. His words, not mine. Naturally many took offense. But, then it became a popular place to be, on the shore. Housing developments began springing up left and right. Everyone wants to live on the shore. The big housing boom went bust and things have slowed down some. But, everything is still advertised and promoted as a " shore " thing. Want a bargain on furniture, come on in it's a " shore " thing, you get the idea.
 It was place names that I was thinking about when I started writing this piece. I used to live on Main Street. Now when I ride by that house I might say to my wife, the old house looks good doesn't it ? She knows exactly what I am talking about. All I have to say is, the old house. I can say Mr. Bob's place and she knows were that is. Mr. Bob passed away over ten years ago. That house has been sold a couple times since. Thing is, it will always be Mr. Bob's house to us. That is the place names that I am talking about. Back in East Hampton I might say, down to Ambroses. Only folks that were born there or lived there many years ago would know where I mean. Jungle Pete's place , same thing. Well, in East Hampton much is made of the past and folks like to pretend they are " natives " and all, but the real locals know the deal. I expect if I went to East Hampton today I would get lost. I had a friend of mine tell me that just that the other day. She and her sister were lost in their hometown ! That can be the result of not having been home in a good long while. I can understand that easy enough. When I first moved here getting directions to places was difficult. Place names are often not on signs, maps or even known to everybody. I kept hearing about a good place to go fishing, the tomb. Just where is this tomb ? Well turns out there is a " tomb " nearby. The tomb of Colonel Richardson, veteran of the revolutionary war. It is tucked into a small corner of a piece of property. No other graves or tombs are nearby, I believe this land was his families at one time. Whatever the case it isn't easy to find. It's a good twenty miles from Greensboro. Just a country mile to the locals.
 It appears to me that the majority of these housing developments are given names. I wonder if they will stick and be used in the future. There is Hokum as one example. The sign outside that development says " Hokum " the great bend in the river. I know that because I often drive by it. I can't say I remember any of the others although I go in them often. I do wonder if say thirty years from now will people say, I live at Hokum ? To me it is too general a description, like saying I live in Greensboro. Okay, but where. Then I might say. you know where the funeral home is ? Yeah, across the street and two doors down, right across from the insurance company. That's a place. I wouldn't think to give you a physical address unless you asked for it. What are you going to do, write me a letter ? I thought you wanted to stop by. LOL Now the wealthy name their homes and I see this mostly at the beach these days. In the movies plantations were named but now it is just estates, big houses or homes at the beach. I rather like that idea though. I've always thought if I had an estate I would name it. Something like  Twin Oaks or Just south of Heaven. Then folks would know exactly where I live.
 It could be that in order to live in the present we need to know our past. Maybe that is why those place names are so comforting to us. We feel familiar and at home using them. They are comfort food for the soul. A connection to the past that gives continuity to our lives. Is that the uneasiness I sometimes feel ? An interruption in time ? It could very well be. I have found that as time goes on and I acquire new " places " that feeling is diminishing. I am starting to feel comfortable here. Those new " places " are holding old memories. And times moves on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment