Friday, March 28, 2014

Progress not Perfection

I think this quote ,or one similar to it, is attributed to Vince Lombardi. "Strive for progress, not perfection." I woke up this morning and heard a radio disc jockey saying that. I have no idea why, or in what context he was using it, but I heard the quote. I haven't heard it used in a while but the truth of it struck home. We should all strive for progress and find reassurance with that, perfection is unattainable. Progress is possible. And with each bit of progress made, we can attain some measure of satisfaction. This attitude can be applied to any undertaking. Whether you are trying to lose weight,write a book or just live a life of meaning, the advice applies. Strive for progress.
I wonder if I heard this message this morning as a reminder. I think it happens that way sometimes. We are reminded of old lessons by others in unexpected ways. I only heard the quote and no context with it. Am I supposed to add that context ? By writing this short essay you could say I already am. I am striving for progress The question is what is the goal I am striving for ? I think it may be just a short exercise in introspection. Just taking a look around,as it where. Is that the reminder ? Is it time for me to move forward, to make progress in some fashion ? Our goals are not always clear, nor our purpose. I believe everyone is here for a purpose. I also think your purpose may or may not align with your goals. It is in that conflict that we live. Perhaps the progress that we strive for should be an understanding of that conflict. We can not be perfect people, but making strides toward that goal, are achievable. For the Christian is that not the path to heaven ? In other faiths the destination may have a different name, but eternal comfort is the goal. To those that have no belief, I am left wondering. That is an issue for me and not them.
And so, I will spend some time pondering these questions. What is my purpose ? What are my goals ? Are the two in alignment ? The big question in all of this self examination would have to be, do the two have to be in alignment ? It would seem that your purpose could not be contradictory to your goal. Do you adjust your goal to fit the purpose ? Can you know your purpose ? The meaning of life enters into all of this. A lot to think about and consider. I can only strive for progress. Maybe that is all it was, a reminder, it did create an awareness and that is a good thing. That is progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment