Saturday, March 29, 2014

Polite Language

Perhaps it is just me. I work in the public eye and so observe the general public everyday. Like everyone else I listen to the radio and television. I listen to what people are saying. What strikes me most about the conversations of today is not what they are talking about, little changes in that regard even across generations, but the manner of saying it. I can only say that America, it seems, is going more " street. " In short, the language and expressions used , are rather crude. Many words are used today that a short time back would have been met with shock. It is not just the younger crowd either, there are plenty in my age group that do the same. I am not impressed nor am I intimidated. I think people talk in that fashion for those reasons. They either believe it makes them sound tough or that it somehow makes there statements more valid. My opinion is, it does neither.
There is a time and place for everything. It even tells us that in the Bible. This use of crude and vulgar language is getting out of hand. I often speak about being in polite company. As many of you know from reading past postings I am retired from the Navy. An occupation notorious for its' " salty " language. I can tell you there was little politeness among shipmates in that regard. Young men away from home making there way in the world often display bravado and coarse manners. Manly men and all that. And so you see I am no novice when it comes to judging choice of words.
I am not saying we should all act in a genteel manner, but certainly a bit more restraint wouldn't hurt. I find myself questioning the intelligence of those that use inappropriate language. I wonder how they justify that. Are they truly just ignorant, or do they just not care. It seems to me as though it is part of a change of attitude. The public in general somehow seems more defensive in nature. The use of this language does project that image of, I'm a tough guy/gal don't mess with me. Years ago I would have rolled a pack of cigarettes in my sleeve and greased my hair back, it would have had the same effect. Now we all get tattoos ! And we curse, a lot. We just break out the four letter vocabulary. I wouldn't describe my feelings as being offended, more like indifference.
It could be this is just another of those changes that bother us older folks. Social changes work like that. Long hair on guys was once met with some of the feelings I have for this language. I am aware of that, but it doesn't make it right. Or it could be a sign of social degradation. A decline. I don't want to sound like a chicken little here but I'm just sayin'. Pay attention to where you hear it and to whom is using it. You may be surprised. Just inserting certain four letter words, at random, in a sentence does not make the statement any more valid. And, at least for me, it diminishes your credibility.
Are we, as a society, really moving forward ? There are times I question that. Comes with age I guess, this questioning. Each generation fearing the end to the civilization they have known. I am no different in that regard. I'd feel better about these changes if we could discuss them politely. Maybe even use words with more than four letters as adjectives. Would that be so old fashioned ? You could say it would require a bit more thought both in expression and understanding. Might not be a bad thing after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment