Thursday, March 27, 2014

Celebrate

One of the features on Facebook I find very useful, and I think most men would, is the birthday reminders. Remembering dates like birthdays,anniversaries and such is the super power of most women. Forget any of them and you will feel the power ! Facebook saves the day.
Now today is my daughter in laws birthday. Everyone says Happy Birthday to you and that it is your day. The birthday person receives gifts and a cake. A party may be given to celebrate the person. That is all as it should be. As I sat down to write my birthday greeting to her it occurred to me how her birth has given me cause to celebrate. She married my son and makes him happy, a reason to be thankful. She gave me grand children another reason to be thankful. She has been nothing but a loving and caring daughter in law to my wife and I. I think we should celebrate. In a strange way her birthday has turned out to be a day I am most thankful for. And I think that is a very good reason to celebrate her birth. I like her so much, I'll even share the cake with her.
I have always thought of birthdays as someone else's day. I think most of us do and that is true. As the years pass however I have come to think about them differently. The birthdays of others that are near and dear to us are days that we should celebrate and be thankful. It is on those days that we were blessed. We may have gone along unaware at the time, but now we know. On March 27,1980 one of my daughter in laws was born. I didn't know that until twenty years later. Sometimes you just have to be patient. What a great day in March of 1980. When I count my blessings I can count that day !
If you start to think about birthdays and other special occasion days in that way your calender will soon be filled. All those days that you thought were to celebrate others, are really days for you. Days that we can reflect upon the blessings that have been bestowed upon us. Makes you want to straighten up and fly right, as my Grandfather was fond of saying. And so I will say Happy Birthday Maria ! I love you and thank you for being born. Made my day back in 1980, and it only took twenty years for me to find out about it. Good Job !

No comments:

Post a Comment