Saturday, March 15, 2014

Memories of Home

Looking back it is amazing to me how small a world I grew up in. That portion that I spent 80% of my time in was probably within a four mile circle of my home. That three bedroom, 21/2 bath two story home on an unpaved lane in the woods was the center of it all. From there I ventured forth into the world. From the bay to the ocean was about the extent of it. Living on long Island, our movements were mostly linear, from the west to the east. West was New York City. Just about a hundred miles west that is, and may as well been a thousand. Heading east a distance of about twenty miles was Montauk point, with its' lighthouse. Wasn't much else in Montauk back in my time there. Oh there were hotels for the wealthy people to come and do whatever wealthy people do. There was a fishing fleet. The Viking Star or something like that. That was for people from New York city that wanted to go fishing. They were rich but I guess they didn't have a boat, probably couldn't keep one in the City. They didn't know how to fish either, I was told the mate on the boat had to put the bait on the hook for them. My oldest brother was mate for a while but I never did that.
If I did go west,toward New York city, it was always for a specific reason. That wasn't a direction you just went on a whim. No, I went there to go shopping or to some entertainment event. I went " up island " as we called it to see a rock and roll band, Steppenwolf. First real concert I went too and it was up island alright. Halfway to New York city ! It was a little frightening and intimidating but the lure was great. I made an occasional trip to the city to go Yankee ball games but not until I was sixteen or so. That was a great adventure and one not taken lightly. I knew to put my wallet in my front pants pocket, fools the pickpockets you know, and to put at least a dollar in your shoe just in case those pickpockets got your wallet anyway. If needed you could always call home. Other than going to the ballpark and a quick shopping trip, to say get school clothes, I didn't go up island. To tell you the truth I didn't like it much. Always seemed crowded, noisy and filled with strangers. It was far better to stay around home, at least the faces were familiar.
There was plenty of variety around those parts. I lived down to Three Mile harbor. That is its own little community, I suppose neighborhood is a more accurate description but it is a large neighborhood. The houses are not arranged in neat rows on streets, that was uptown, were those "upstreeters" lived. I could go down to Amagansett, seemed like a different world altogether. I only knew a few from Amagansett, them people were different, let me tell you. Springs was another place. Had an Uncle that lived in Springs, my aunt still does. Good folks down to springs. Knew a girl down to Montauk but the distance between us was too great, near to twelve miles. Long distance relationships is hard.
Yes, that about covered it. All within a few miles of each other. I knew people that had spent their whole lives right there. Many of the men I knew, my Dads friends, had been in the war and so had gone places. None I knew wanted to go back or go anywhere else than where they were. Most of those folks died there. I left when I joined the Navy. Since then I have lived all over the country. That little circle on Long Island will always be home though. I suspect it is that way for most everyone. The place you grew up in holds those memories. I was listening to an old Merle Haggard song yesterday and this line stuck in my head ; " I guess everything does change except what you choose to recall. " So much truth in so few words. The old hometown has changed but it is what I choose to recall. Those memories are a comfort in troubling times and a joy to remember in good. It truly is a small world, the world inside our minds. No matter how far we travel, no matter where we may live, we always go home. An old gospel song sums it up nicely, Will the Circle be Unbroken, and the answer is, No, it will not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment