Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Escaping the Vortex

Today the weather prognosticators say the mercury will reach seventy degrees. Doesn't that sound wonderful ? Time to get outside for a fast charge. A little disturbance is supposed to happen during the night and drop the temps back down, might even see snow. That's alright I have seen the first green shoots of the crocus. They have appeared next to the steps by the church. It seems fitting that they do so. Can the yellow tops be far behind ?
Yes, the grass will be greening and the rakes come out of the shed. The hammock has been folded all the long winter and is anxious to be stretched out. I'm volunteering right now to do that job and test it for security. A test of several hours, with cool beverages, is in order. Safety first ! The beds of the gardens need to be made. Old friends will arrive in them soon and perhaps a few new ones will be added. An early spring trimming of the bushes and general sprucing up. The sound of power washers will fill the air also, as the houses get washed. That is a fairly new thing, I don't remember anyone washing their houses when I was young. Well the only ones that did had wheels on them. Of course the majority of the homes back in my younger days had either cedar shingles or those asbestos ones. Seldom did anything green grow on those.
But I am rushing ahead. The mention of seventy degree temperature for today has sent me off on a flight of summer dreams. Barbecues and sitting on the deck. The windows open and listening to the sounds of the night. The smell of fresh cut grass. Ah, fresh air and sunshine. Is that the clink of ice cubes in a a tall glass of sun brewed ice tea I hear ?
Well now it is time to go to work. I'll be anxious to get outside this afternoon and enjoy this brief burst of spring. Light at the end of this winter tunnel. Coming out of the polar vortex ! I wonder what name the weather man will come up with for the heat of summer. Global warming is so yesterday. I remember vaguely someone singing " we're having a heatwave,a tropical heatwave " either on the radio or in some musical. I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment