Monday, August 5, 2024

perilousness

  Should we ban all risky sports and behaviors? It's a question I've given thought too since reading a post suggesting just that. It began in regard to the sport of boxing, with the big controversary surrounding that female athlete Imane Khelif, yes, she is a biological female, and her opponent saying she just hits too hard. She said she feared for her life! A bit dramatic I think, and she has walked back some of that since. But I have a doctor friend that suggested boxing should be banned altogether. He did cite some statistics about the number of injuries involved and mentioned Mohamed Ali and his Parkinson's disease. There is still debate among physicians that his boxing career resulted in him developing that disease. Many people get that disease who have never even put on a pair of gloves. Whatever the truth is my opinion remains the same. There is risk in all sports and indeed risk in all pleasures as well. 
  What I'm thinking about is how much risk should the government regulate? Is that the function of government? Well, certainly in the workplace I believe the government has a role in protecting the workers. We all know the employer isn't going to be excessively concerned; safety equipment, training and all of that cuts into the bottom line. The objective in business is to make a profit. That's true no matter what the business is. Sports as a business is no different. Should we put professional sports out of business? That would be the result if you are going to say we must eliminate all risk. The reduction of risk should be the objective. That is an ongoing thing in every sport today. You know why? To protect the assets! Yes, that what those professional athletes are, assets. If it weren't for that the players would be on their own to manage risk. 
  It's my thinking as long as you are a willing participant there should be no restrictions on the sport. It's a choice. It is as simple as risk and reward. If you are willing to risk it, the reward can be great. Should the government decide how much risk you are willing to assume? As long as that risk doesn't place others unwilling to assume the risk as well, I can't see an issue with that. For me it's like mandating I wear a seatbelt, that should be my choice, it places no one else in danger if I don't. I'm more than willing to accept that risk. I wouldn't get in a boxing match with anyone, I don't want to take that risk! It's a choice. Everything in life comes with a risk. It is simply a matter of the degree of risk associated with the activity. Should the government determine how much risk is acceptable to me? No, I don't think so. 
  The bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is whether you are choosing to participate of your own free will or participating due to necessity. It's true you may find yourself in a difficult financial situation and decide to participate because you need the money. That's still a choice, however. You are not being forced by any outside forces to do that. Yes, you are responsible for you. I am not. That's the risk and reward part in all of this. Nascar makes between nine and ten million dollars per race. It's a risky business and what the fans pay to see, everyone loves a good car crash! Yeah, the drivers have all the protection they can get, they need it driving 200 miles per hour. Point is, they are willing to risk it. So is everyone else on the track. Life itself is a risky business, so is buying lottery tickets. The government has no problem with gambling. Driving an automobile is risky, no problem with any of that. Skydiving, rock climbing, mountain biking, scuba diving and skateboarding are all risky things. Even social media is risky, I could get triggered and require counseling! I'm willing to risk it even though there is little reward involved. Well, the government is busy trying to make it safer for me, so there's that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment