Friday, August 9, 2024

a good ride

 Remembering my high school days and one of the cars I drove. It wasn't a new car, or just a used car a few years old, it is what would be called a "hoopty" these days. I guess the kids still say that anyway. It was in a time before we named our vehicles like pets. That seems to be a thing nowadays. Back in those days not every high school student owned their own vehicles. I felt like a big deal having one even though it wasn't a really "cool" ride. But it was mine, brought and paid for by me. My parents didn't buy it, didn't help finance it or pay for the insurance. No, all that was me. The particular car I'm thinking about was a 1962 Ford Falcon station wagon, white with a red interior. 
 To be completely honest about it I was given that car by an uncle. It had been my aunt's car but had lost oil pressure. Uncle Roz had that car sitting in his yard and had already purchased my aunt a new one. It was one of those things. He was thinking about fixing it but hadn't gotten around to that. While visiting I mentioned I was looking for a car. He generously offered that car to me, for nothing! All I had to do was make the necessary repairs. My dad towed it to our house. That was back when you could just tie a rope to the bumper or the frame and tow it with another vehicle. I just put a cardboard sign in the rear window, under tow, and down the road we went. 
  After getting it home I jacked it up and placed it on cement blocks. I didn't have anything as fancy as jack stands or ramps. But using that bumper jack you could get the car fairly high off the ground, you just had to be a little careful as it gets tippy further up. Getting it up high enough to slide underneath I removed the oil pan. Man, guess Uncle Roz hadn't exactly been changing the oil on a regular basis, it was a bit thick! So, I removed the oil pump and began to clean everything up. I had enough money for a new pan gasket, oil and a filter. The oil pump looked alright to me and so no need to buy one of those. I figured it would work. Got it all back to together, started her up and the oil pressure shot right up. I was on the road! Well, almost.
  The car was repaired and running great. I had that in line six cylinder purring like a kitten. The kitten may have had a bit of indigestion but was ready to go. First thing I needed was insurance. I asked my dad about that, and he said I know just the person you need to see. He took me to his insurance agent, introduced me and said, I'll be in the car. I spoke with that lady that gave me all the details on the cost. I told her I would be back as soon as I could raise the money. On the way home Dad told me about a friend of his that might have some work for me, you know, to earn a few dollars toward getting that insurance. I did eventually come up with the funds and dad generously gave me a ride back to the insurance company. 
  I drove that car most of my senior year in high school. It was a very reliable car, never gave me any trouble. It started right up every time. Now it was a no frills car. Roll up windows, no power steering, drum brakes, no air conditioning but it did have a radio! Sure, it was only an AM radio but we had a local station that came in just fine. It wasn't fast, it wasn't cool looking, but it was all mine. I found that station wagon came in handy for doing odd jobs, that was a sort of bonus. Hauled a lot of brush and junk in the back of the mighty Falcon. Looking back, I was totally unaware of just how great a car that was. When I left for the Navy, I gave it to my brother Dan. I heard he tried to modify it, to make it into a pick up truck by cutting the top off. I guess he didn't know that it was what was called a unibody car, a fairly new concept in car construction, and by cutting the top weakened the structure. The car collapsed in the middle lacking that roof support. I never saw it, but that is what I was told. 
  All that was fifty three years ago. I have so many fond memories of that time. Like a lot of us I dream about getting another car just like that someday. Hey, it a classic, a collectable and a historic vehicle. Some even call it an antique! I went online and had a look around. They are out there. The prices range from a few hundred for parts only examples, to thousands for a restored one. A few wanted many thousands! Well, it all depends upon how bad you want it I suppose and the size of your budget. My budget hasn't changed all that much since 1970, adjusted for inflation. Well, when I hit the lottery maybe. That wasn't the only car I had back in the day, but it is the one I remember most. Out of those I did have it is also the only one I would want to own again. Funny how you don't miss something till it's gone. Today I'm just looking in the rear view mirror, looking back, smiling. It was a good ride.  

1 comment: