Sunday, August 11, 2024

In America

  I did a bit of reading about a controversial subject. It has been reported that Minneapolis has become the first city in America to support the Islamic call to prayer to be broadcast five times a day. The city council voted in favor of this unanimously. The mayor signed the bill. The only obstacle was a city ordinance on noise during certain hours of the day. This "adhan" as it is called by the Muslim people sometimes would occur during those times. This "adhan" begins by saying that Allah is the supreme being and follows with a profession of faith, it goes on to say if you don't believe in Allah, you are lost. From what I have read that is the jest of it. My understanding is that it is always recited in Arabic. It is telling the people that Allah is the one true God. 
  Initially upon hearing about this I thought about the constitutionality of this. My thoughts went to the separation of church of state. Is this an affirmation of religion by the government? I think that could be argued as a city ordinance did require modification to allow this. I question whether this change also allows me to make "noise" at the same hours as that call to prayer. I couldn't use my chainsaw at dawn because of the noise restriction but this call can be broadcast at dawn. Does that mean I can now use my chainsaw, leaf blower or play loud music at dawn as well? I did read one argument that said churches often ring their bells, but I don't know of any doing so at dawn. 
  I did consider whether or not any state resources were being used. If this costs the taxpayers in any fashion that would be a violation, in my opinion. From what I read that isn't happening though, the individual Mosques are simply broadcasting their call to prayer. I can see where that falls under the freedom of speech all Americans highly prize. I just wonder what the response would be if I started broadcasting the Lord's prayer five times a day starting at dawn. I wonder would that be accepted as readily. It's a good question for the Minneapolis city council and the mayor. Well, I mean, in the past I couldn't play my radio too loud at that time of the day, were my first amendment rights being violated all this time? If this is going to be precedent, I should certainly be able to overthrow any noise restrictions. I do see some constitutional issues with this ruling.
  Many schools are eliminating the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. Many schools have eliminated saying a prayer in the morning in the classrooms. The ten commandments had to be removed from the walls of the courthouse. Some schools are even removing the American flag! It would seem to me if we were going to say the Muslim people are allowed to broadcast their belief everyone else should be free to express theirs as well. I noticed when I went to a recent graduation ceremony that there was no innovation. I asked about that and was told it had been eliminated so as not to offend anyone. What if hearing that Islamic call to prayer five times a day offends me. See the issue here? Now I know it isn't a religious thing, but signing the national anthem is even being questioned these days. I would say it is an American thing, an affirmation not unlike the "adhan" and its' call. 
  I don't have an issue with anyone being a Muslim. They are certainly entitled to worship whomever they choose. My thoughts on this ruling do not stem from any hatred of the Muslim peoples. They do stem from my feelings for America. We don't broadcast any calls to prayer in America. We do urge everyone to attend the church of their choice. Had that been a traditional thing for America I would have grown up with that and accepted it as the normal thing. 
  It isn't and I don't believe it should become that either. You can have your faith, practice it in whatever fashion suits, establish your buildings for worship, wear whatever clothing and pray as many times a day as you like. I don't think you have a right to broadcast that call to prayer five times a day in a public space. I suspect this may be questioned in the supreme court one day. We'll see, meanwhile I'm not moving to Minneapolis, it's too noisy there, it might affect my quality of life. It's just not something we do in America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment