Monday, November 21, 2022

the best I can do

 Shakespeare said all the worlds a stage and each us merely players. The question to be answered is, who is the casting director? How are our roles assigned? Some of us are living in a comedy while others are in a drama, on the same stage! Now I've heard that your gender is assigned at birth but that it can be changed later on. I have to wonder what the director thinks about that. Isn't that same thing as buying a Ford and then changing the name to Chevrolet? I mean, it was "born" a Ford wasn't it? Calling it a Chevrolet later on doesn't really change anything, not even with modifications. Aftermarket parts aren't the same thing. But I'm getting off the topic a bit, I was talking about playing a part. We are truly players, as old Billy the shake pointed out. He was calling us all players long before Snoop Dog and Lil Wayne. He knew the deal.
 It seems to me the leading role today is victim. Everyone wants to play the victim. It is really the desire to be the hero of the story. The best heroes overcome tremendous odds to emerge victorious. In order to do that you have to first be the victim or oppressed in some fashion. Social and economic circumstances are the usual methods employed. But a good disease or ailment of some kind will work just as well. Mental illness is leading the pack at the moment, can't prove or disprove that, so it's pretty safe. Plenty of "Drs" willing to give you a diagnosis for a structured fee, I mean therapy sessions. Some even have a payment plan! You can even do that online if that works better for you. Just because you are a victim doesn't mean you have to be inconvenienced.
 It's my thinking we would all be a lot happier if we accepted the role we were assigned. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to improve the role, just don't try to rewrite the script. Changing just one character changes the whole show. That is something that I see happening a lot these days as we remove historical figures both real and imagined from our story. Future generations will never know Aunt Jemina, Uncle Ben or Mrs. Butterworth! The founding fathers will all be listed as racists and revolutionaries. In fact, the entire white race is to blame for every injustice ever perpetrated! The "science" will gloss over the theory that all mankind came up out of Africa. That will be ignored because if it is true then all the Africans are to blame! Just because they began to identify as Europeans or Asians isn't an excuse. They are Africans, right? They are when there is a benefit in being one. Hey, ask Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris about identity and if it is a benefit on occasion. 
 As for me I'm just playing the role I was assigned by the casting director. It doesn't really matter what or who I call that, it isn't important. What is important is in knowing my part in the play. I admit it would be a lot easier if I had been given the script before the play began but I wasn't. As I result, I find it is necessary to improvise. Yes, our lives are improv. None of us know what is going to happen next. The best we can do is react. Honest reactions are always the best. You can't figure out the future because you can't know the future! You can't control the future. Perhaps you can influence the present by drawing on the past, but you aren't going to change the future. The future is going to be whatever the director says it will be. The best I can do is ask the director, listen closely for an answer and pray.     

1 comment:

  1. "Victims." Your words are truly quite telling.

    I wonder, what would you say to our veterans experiencing PTSD? Are we picking and choosing what diagnoses are legitimate?

    "In order to do that you have to first be the victim or oppressed in some fashion....Mental illness is leading the pack at the moment, can't prove or disprove that, so it's pretty safe. Plenty of "Drs" willing to give you a diagnosis for a structured fee, I mean therapy sessions."

    ReplyDelete