Friday, November 25, 2022

Risky business

  Somewhere between precaution and paranoia. That seems to be the state of most Americans these days. What with all the government warnings and urgings to vaccinate, boost, test and retest how could it be otherwise? There are those of us out here however that are not. We are often called the deniers or anti-vaxers and people to be avoided. At first, we could be identified by our hesitation to mask up, stay back six feet from any human contact and carry hand sanitizer in gallon bottles. Today we are questioned about our "status." I had one of my doctors look at me almost in amazement as I told him I hadn't been vaccinated and had no intention of doing so. He said he couldn't believe I had never gotten infected. I assured him I had not. I feel like it is because I have avoided being infected. I was given a stern warning; I'm supposed to be worried. I am not. I do not exercise any more caution that I previously did and certainly I'm not paranoid. According to that physician I am in the minority. 
 It isn't just covid that is fueling all of this. Are you over fifty? The virus that causes shingles is living inside you! 99% of the people will get shingles in their lifetime! You should immediately seek the vaccination against that, see your health care provider! Are you sad? It's probably treatable with medications. Even the medication being prescribed will make you paranoid if you listen to the possible side effects. A rare life-threatening brain infection is possible! Getting together with family and friends for Thanksgiving or other holidays is also a danger to be avoided. And now RSV is on the rise, hospitals low on beds according to the news outlets. That along with the shortage of health care workers.  
 Then there is the economy, the environment and politics. Be afraid, be very afraid is the message. That applies on all three fronts. And what is the response to all of this? In my estimation it is anger. Paranoia often fuels anger. It is a defense mechanism. The desire to control the situation or circumstance is a natural reaction to being afraid. It can lead to manic behaviors. I'm seeing that every day in the news. Excessive precaution also leads to paranoia. It is my thinking that is what is causing the majority of this right now. The constant barrage of taking precautions, getting vaccinations, immunizations, avoiding contact with others is creating this atmosphere of fear. You aren't making enough money; climate change is killing the planet and the politicians are only watching out for themselves. You deserve so much more and are being denied! It's not fair. How are you supposed to survive? Only by complete compliance with government directives. In the end paranoia will have you sitting in the corner, quietly passive and compliant. That happens once the anger passes. Anger passes by appeasement. All you have to do is decide. What do you want? Take a risk or play it safe. 
 Well in my experience life itself is risky business. There are just so many variables. If variety is the spice of life, risk is the main course. Variety may mask that, hide it from the palate, but it won't change what it is. There are many spices to choose from but only one main course. Don't get distracted. Enjoy the main course, life itself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment