Monday, February 14, 2022

Qualified?

 If you remain true to your ideals, true to the roots of your raising, at a certain age you discover, the normal thing isn't normal anymore. I have definitely reached that age. As I watch the shows and movies on television it becomes more evident every day. It is obvious in the language used and the social situations portrayed. To coin an old phrase. " We aren't in Kansas anymore." I'm certain that is the way it has been with every generation. At times there seems to be no normal at all! Abnormal is the new normal. 
 All of that has to be viewed in context however, I'm aware of that. Fashion, style, social behaviors, all change with each succeeding generation. I never grew that long hippie hair popular in the 60's but it was a normal thing to see. My father certainly didn't think it was normal. Some of my fashion choices he thought weren't normal. He even expressed some concern for my mental well being. Are you really going to wear that out of the house? And yes, even some of the moral choices I made came into question. It wasn't so much that Mom and Dad hadn't engaged in certain activities, they just didn't let that be known publicly. 
 I have reached that point where the norm isn't normal to me. It's upsetting and a source of aggravation at times. When people engage in abnormal behaviors and you are being told you have to accept that as normal, it's aggravating. The answer is, no it's not! It isn't normal to me, and I live in this world, my world, not your world. I see no reason to reject my sense of normality to suit you. You are the one struggling for acceptance, not me. I've already decided what is normal, what is right and what is wrong. My concern is the same as my parents. I'm just trying to show you the way. 
 I am somewhat confused here just lately. First it was the nomination of a Supreme court justice, now a head football coaching position. It seems like there are those wanting to establish a new norm. Color as qualification. The color of a person's skin must be factored into the decision making process. We are to assume, as the normal thing, prejudice in hiring, always, in every case and in every situation. Blacks for instance comprise roughly 13% of the total population. But, the narrative is they should hold 50% of the jobs because that would be equal. I'm not certain where that would leave the nearly 18% that are Latinos. If 13% should get 50% how much should 18% get? And where does that leave the 60% that say they are white? How are we to establish a new norm based on that? Abnormal numbers? It certainly seems that way. Well, I can tell you one thing that is normal, everyone wants to be equal, until they are. Another is this, you can please some of the people all of the time, some of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time. That's normal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment