Monday, February 7, 2022

On the level

 I enjoy watching the Olympics, as I believe most folks do. I'm not concerned with any political implications and all that. It's just fun to watch people that are the best in the world doing what they do. As I watch I wonder how they got started in doing some of those things. I mean take Luge for instance. Sledding on steroids! But just where is there a luge track for beginners? And I heard some of the athletes talking about traveling the circuit, all over the globe to compete. I wonder who has the money and resources to do such a thing? I know they get sponsors, like the pro bowlers and others do, but how? I'm a professional snowboarder? How do you get that designation?
 You hear the athletes talking about dedication, training, sacrifice and all that. It would certainly take all of that and more to accomplish what they do. Most are pretty young; you'd have to be for your body to take that punishment. I wonder how you decide on that when you are just an adolescent. Are the parents responsible, the coaches, and talent scouts? I don't know. Many of these sports have no useful purpose afterwards. I mean being a professional ski jumper for instance, what do you do for a living after that? If you win some Olympic medals that has to be a plus, getting hired as a spokesperson or whatever. What about the ones that never get a medal, the ones that came in sixth and seventh. Skaters at least can work in ice shows like Disney but I'm a speed skater, what do I do? 
 These athletes are all to be admired, I certainly give them every credit they deserve. It's just that I wonder how you wind up doing that in the first place. A number of these sports require a great deal of money to even get started in, well unless, you own your own ski resort or mountain. I've been enjoying the Curling. Where is the closest curling facility to me? The stones weigh 42 lbs. apiece and you need five. That's at least 2500 dollars for refurbished ones. Where would you even buy one? Amazon probably has them. Yeah, I looked, they do. Well, I just wonder about all of that. I guess it just takes commitment on the part of the parents, those willing to sponsor the individual, and a great deal of skill. I do believe you have to be born with the talent, whatever the sport may be. It's a God given gift. There are so many factors involved that luck surely must play a role as well. A lot of very hard work and luck. It's that way in life too. 
 I have a nephew that is into cornhole. It's a fun game to play and I have tried it. Mostly it seems like an excuse to get together and drink some beer, a good pastime. The cornhole, not the beer drinking though. But, hey, they are getting some exercise I suppose. Now, my nephew travels around to various tournaments. Apparently, like all the other sports, there are professional cornholers! My nephew has spoken of those people. He says you don't stand much of a chance against them. He has placed in several tournaments, winning trophies and cash prizes.
 Now cornhole is a game I can see anyone being able to get into. The equipment necessary is pretty basic and can be homemade. It can be played indoors or out. You don't have to be physically superior to anyone else. I would think age has little to do with it. As I said I've tried it and it is amusing. Amusing, a pastime, but I don't seem to have a natural talent for it. I'm not pro-level that much is certain. I'm not even at the amateur level. I'm at the spectator level. Same as ski jumping or luge.   

No comments:

Post a Comment