Wednesday, February 9, 2022

chastised

 Facebook is winning. I realized that yesterday when I was going to post a comment and then withdrew that comment. The reason? I decided I didn't want to be put in jail. Yeah I know, it's a sign of courage to stand up for what you believe. Still, I haven't forgotten the old adage, discretion is the better part of valor. I did feel a bit defeated but was willing to "comply." It's a choice I made. Risk and reward. I just didn't want to lose my ability to post. I realized my desire for entertainment overrode my desire to post a wise crack! My comment was going to be just that, sarcastic! Sarcasm is a tool I employ a lot. You have to laugh at this stuff to keep from screaming. 
 I don't feel censored. That's not how I feel at all. I can still say whatever I want to say, just the manner of expression has to be different. Really not that much different from when I was a kid. You remember, back in the day, when you didn't use profanity and coarse language in polite company. We called that having respect for others. It's true that if the others were friends or close acquaintances, once a familiarity had been established, those words or phrases may come into play, but not in everyday conversation. So, in a way Facebook or Meta whatever it is being called today is attempting to legislate what was once was called, manners. Being polite, courteous and respectful were lessons taught in my youth. They were often reenforced, well, forcibly if you get my meaning. It wasn't feelings that were hurt!
 So Facebook won a round yesterday. I was aware of it as well. I chastised myself! Partly for failing to post what I originally thought, and partly for having the thought in the first place. It's a lesson learned many years ago. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And if you do, you have to be willing to accept the consequences. I wasn't willing. A lesson applied more than 65 years after having first learned it. What did you say? I don't remember what it was, but I didn't say it again! At least not to my father I didn't. Seems as though Facebook is implementing parental control. Guess I should be thanking Mark for watching out for me. Corporate caring. Yeah, let's go with that.    

1 comment: