Sunday, May 23, 2021

something to think about

   Crafting a legacy. I have become aware of that in recent years, this idea of legacy. Legacy is that which we leave behind. Usually we think in terms of money, property, or some great body of work. But, each one of us leave a legacy, each of us craft that legacy over our lifetime. We are certainly not aware or concerned about any of that when we are young, children think only of the future as what is to come, and what is coming is always a good thing. You could say it is a natural yearning for freedom. Our parents and our peers place constrains on all of that, making demands upon us. Then we begin to concern ourselves with finding our way in the world. How will we navigate that? Some of us just strike out without a plan, while others seek further education, others begin practicing a trade, and eventually we all become identified with what we do. Yes, we are what we do, and what we become, and in the end we leave a legacy. The crafting of that legacy is what occupies my thoughts this morning. The truth is, we have little control over that at all, our legacy will be defined by others. Either for good or bad, that is what it will be, what others say it was. 
 As far back as high school I can remember a classmate being included in the Who's who in America. I believe that volume concerned who was the football quarterbacks in American schools. It was something like that anyway. I remember thinking then, that person will always be remembered for that, if nothing else, because it has been recorded. To be included in the who's who surely makes you somebody. It's an honor bestowed. Never one that actively sought out accolades, and not one that participated in many extra-curricular activities, my name doesn't appear often. The same could be said for my Naval career, just one in thousands that have served, undistinguished is what they would call that career. I'm fine with that as it is the truth. Beyond that I held positions. I performed jobs, did as was requested of me, a good and loyal employee. That was my working life. In retirement I do pretty much what pleases me. I'm not one to be active in community organizations, not much of a volunteer. In contrast to that I am quick to speak with people, I'm a friendly person. I will not hesitant to speak to strangers, sometimes embarrassing to the grandchildren. I disagree with the television commercial about becoming your parents. The waiter does need to know my name and I will express my opinion. 
 As far as crafting a legacy I feel like I have a chance to do just that. That was the original intent in writing these blog postings. I do want to tell my side of the story. The only way that can happen after death is if I write them down, the memories that is. I am the only one that holds those memories and I feel a sense of responsibility. It is also a secret power, I control those memories as well. With the recent passing of my mom that thought moved once again to the forefront. I have one brother left on this earth. Only one brother that could contradict my memories of childhood and home. He is the only other one that was there! Everything else would be hearsay, second hand testimony and speculation. I can craft what is remembered by writing it down. My memories are my legacy, A legacy shared. 
 The only question being, what to include? What secrets do I take with me? Those secrets would only effect my legacy, that's what I am thinking about. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? But I don't think so. I do think there are things best left between you and your God. I have discovered secrets about those I thought I knew that led to disappointment. I have discovered secrets about those I thought I knew that inspired me, gave me a greater respect for that person. Still I feel like I will retain some secrets, secrets that are really nothing more than unanswered questions. The concern? The tarnishing of a legacy. Gold doesn't tarnish, but silver does. Still those secrets may provide the polish necessary to buff up that legacy a bit. It's a question of risk and reward. The risk only exists while we live, the reward is forever. That's something to think about. What is left behind?     

No comments:

Post a Comment