Thursday, May 27, 2021

21

  Twenty one years ago today I went to a wedding. We welcomed a new daughter into our family. The happiness was mixed with parental concern, after all, this was a big deal. Maria was a beautiful bride and as it turned out, an even more beautiful daughter in law. Truly, she has become a daughter. Over the last twenty one years she has tolerated us, accepted us, and given us two wonderful grandchildren. She has accepted our son too. So this morning I am looking back over the last twenty one years, reviewing the memories and moments. They have gone far together and a new journey lies before them. Mark has already moved out, off to college, has an apartment of his own and is in a "relationship" as the kids today say. In just four days Morgan graduates high school. She had her last day in school, that came as a bit of a shock to read, all that remains of high school is the formalities. Off to Salisbury in the fall to study Social Work/Psychology. She intends to go out and save society, a lofty goal. And with that the bride and groom become true empty nesters. 
 A new chapter in life opens for them. A chapter they are entering with hopefully, a more refined maturity than the utopian dreams of youth. The road is never an easy one. On one hand it just doesn't seem like it was all that long ago. I think it is simply because we have been so closely involved with their lives. All the vacations, the Christmases, the milestones passed. Their marriage has been an extension of our lives and one that added much to our marriage and lives. And that is what family is all about. It's true it isn't like the family farm, it hasn't been a Hallmark movie, but it has been close. Attending that wedding I wasn't aware that a new life was beginning for me as well. The life of Grandpa. I enjoy the role and the responsibility. Grandchildren give you the chance for a do-over. An opportunity to correct the errors made, if nothing more, errors in your own mind. And now, twenty one years later another life present itself to me. 
 As an adult I was never able to be with my grandparents, they had all passed by that time. Time and circumstance prevented that. I find myself wishing that I could have known them, as people. Do you know what I mean? I wish I had known their adult thoughts, their fears, their sorrows, and their dreams. I'm excited to do all of that with my grandchildren. I'm excited to do that with my children as well. I'm not wanting to rush anything but it doesn't seem unrealistic anymore, this grandfather may be talking with another grandfather and grandmother. That could be the couple whose wedding I attended! Now there is an eye opener! But, let's not rush into anything. I'm not sure I'm ready for that. And the truth is, all of this is about me. Those crazy kids. Happy Anniversary Kevin and Maria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment