Tuesday, May 19, 2020

you started it

 Well it would seem another observance has escaped me. It's strange too, given the amount of time I spend on social media and listening to the main stream media. But this past Saturday, May the 16th, was Armed Forces Day. I heard no mention of that. It is day to honor active duty, retired, reserved and former members of any branch of the U.S. military. We were to fly our flags. This day of observance was created on the 31 of August in 1949. That made this the fiftieth anniversary. That was when all the different departments of the military were joined under a single department, the department of defense. This year the President of the United States, the Commander in Chief of all the armed forces, was presented with the flag of a new department. The Space Force. Yes, that's correct the space force was officially created seventy years after the Air Force became a separate force from the Army. Prior to that it had been, the Army Air Force. I'm as guilty as anyone of not remembering this day to honor our servicemembers. I'm certain if it was made a holiday, a three day weekend, none of us would have missed it! Flags would have flying and thank you for your service all around. I feel a little ashamed that I wasn't aware.
 I think I found this a little more disturbing because of a conversation I had yesterday on Facebook. Someone had posted a meme that I replied too that caused a little friction. Well that's not surprising or disturbing to me, happens all the time. But this meme was telling me I had no right to complain about social distancing or wearing a face mask. No, I had to do those things to protect the elderly among us. That's fine, except it went on to describe those elderly as, forcibly drafted in the service, they had to give up years of their lives, they saw friends die, and suffered irreparable psychological damage protecting your right to bitch and that's why you shouldn't bitch! Well, first off they won that war, they preserved that right for you, me and everyone else to come. I took exception to implying that they were forced to do anything, I see it as answering the call to duty, and then to suggest that they are all damaged! Just what the heck are you saying? I was informed that meme was saying I would be disrespecting those veterans by not following the rules. First off I didn't say I wouldn't follow the rules, I did say I thought it disrespectful to call them damaged! But I was accused of twisting everything to cause an argument. I had to chuckle a bit at that, so you're saying, " you started it " LOL. Quite the intelligent rebuttal I would say. I left my opinion on that meme, a meme attempting to somehow shame people into obedience by using their grandparents and the elderly that were somehow forcibly drafted to fight a war to protect your rights, rights that you are now being told not to use. If I exercise the right that these elderly folks fought to preserve I'm being disrespectful to them? Then just what the heck did they fight for? Because they were forcibly drafted, forced to surrender years of their lives, and suffer damage? And all I'm supposed to do is say. Thank You for your Service. " No, I don't think so but that's my opinion. If that upsets you, remember, you started it. Makes me wonder.
                                                                                               
 Remember people laughed at the Wright Brothers too, I do find it amusing that they chose the Star Trek symbol thing though. Scotty, beam me up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment