Friday, May 1, 2020

a logical response

 I started several blogs this morning and have hit the delete button several times. My thoughts just aren't centered on any one topic. It is the first day of May, the fifth month and summer just around the bend. There are those protesting this quarantine in various portions of the country. I understand it, each place is rather unique. Where it may be possible in one place it would be unwise in another. But the big thing, the driving force will be an economic one. Make no mistake about that, commerce will continue despite any danger. Recreation also will play a big role. We Americans want to do what we want to do! There is ample evidence of that throughout our society, long before this pandemic called a halt to at least some of that. We either legalize those behaviors, or seek a way to prevent the unwanted consequences of those actions. We don't advocate for restraint, quite the contrary, we just look for ways to enable it. The very latest I've heard about is some drug called Truvada! The advertisement on television says it is for Prep. I thought prep for what? Turns out it is preparing you to engage in homosexual activities without spreading HIV. No mention that perhaps you should just restrain from that choice, no, just take Truvada. Of course there are side effects that might kill you but the other person won't get HIV. So you see, it's for them, not you. I could go on with other examples but I won't. I'm trying very hard to remain positive as I've been accused of being a negative Nelly. Well, the truth isn't always what we want to hear. 
 I keep hearing about the push for a vaccine. A vaccine will be the cure all, end all to this virus. Well because if we just vaccinate all 6 billion people on the planet, no more covid 19. Well, at least until it mutates, all viruses do. Then we can develop a vaccine for that mutation. My question is, when do we declare it safe? I mean, how many have to be vaccinated before we say, it is safe to go in public without a face covering? Is it when a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand or the entire population has been? What if I don't want to be vaccinated? Do I get a choice? And if I choose not to will I then be required to wear a face covering? Why would I? If you're vaccinated, you are immune right? And I'm only wearing this face mask to protect you. That's what I keep hearing anyway, I see long postings about how it is my responsibility to wear that mask not for myself, but for others! So, when the others are vaccinated I won't have to, right? 
 I'm not saying we shouldn't wear a mask to protect others. I'm not saying this virus isn't a huge issue. I am applying logic to the issue however. We can't all just stay home forever. We do have to get back to work. How are we to decide on that? At what point do we say it's safe enough. We can never say this virus isn't present and going to infect someone. We can mitigate the spread, we can't stop the existence of it. The big question in all of this is a basic one, does the government have the authority to order you be vaccinated. Now you can say they already have but that isn't accurate. Yes you have to be vaccinated to attend public schools, things like that. Yes children are required to be vaccinated against polio, diphtheria and tetanus. Orthodox Jews, Amish and a few other groups have religious exemption from such mandates on their children. I'm talking about adults however. Do those over the age of 18 have the right to decide on that for themselves? That depends upon which constitutional scholar you choose to listen to. The current thinking says the Federal government can indeed mandate you be vaccinated in the interest of public health. There is some argument based on the first amendment, that the government shall not infringe upon the free exercise of religious belief. Some judges have ruled that it doesn't apply in this situation. I can see that if my practice of religion endangers others. Of course conversely, if you are vaccinated you are protected from me right? Then what harm am I causing to others? Well, I might be. It's a bit of a sticky wicket. One way around it is to just change the form of government we currently have, surrender a bit of freedom for the good of the country. Or as Spock says, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. It's only logical.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment