Friday, November 29, 2019

I didn't mean it

 You know on the left hand side of your Facebook timeline that " memories " block you can check? Well I usually check on it first thing every morning to see what I was talking about last year and the years before. This morning I noticed I had posted, a couple of times over the years, this quip, " just because I write it down, don't take it literally. " I was just trying to be funny. I think I'm hilarious but others fail to see it, another of life's mysteries. But whatever, after reading that I couldn't help but think many people must have taken that seriously! I say that because what I write, plainly and clearly, isn't being understood. People aren't taking it literally.
 I'm thinking this isn't just becoming on problem on my social media page but in general. Something is written, it's clear and concise, yet when reported becomes something quite different. Yes, that's what it said, but that isn't what it means. Of course the truth is that has always been an issue. That's why we have attorneys. It's their job to tell you what things mean regardless of what is written down. And the problem only gets worse over time. When the author is no longer around to explain his or her thoughts the situation is exasperated. Just think of the Constitution as a prime example. That is probably the most interpreted and misinterpreted document around. Even the founding fathers added the bill of rights to clarify things! But ambiguity still exists in that document. Consider where it says, " shall be bound by oath or affirmation to support this constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required " Now if I'm swearing an oath or affirming my intentions just who or what am I doing that too? No religious test shall ever be applied. Just what does that mean? A religious test may incorporate receiving Holy Communion, or professing a particular belief or doctrine. The founding Fathers wanted to ensure the separation of church and state and this is a critical part of that. What is the intent of taking that oath or affirmation in the first place? It's a solemn promise to act according to your conscience. The character of the representative is to be judged by the voting public not by a religious test. That isn't what was written, but it is what was meant. It was also taken as fact that most men believed in God, thanked God for the blessings of Liberty and would act accordingly. The only difference would be the manner in which their religion was practiced. Catholics were frowned upon, protestants ruled the day, although there were many varieties of them. No religious test would ever be applied because no one could decide upon the answer! It was an acknowledgement of that " freedom of religion " so coveted by the founding fathers.
 Okay so now that I have wandered off on that topic I will return to my first thought. Just because I write it down, don't take it literally. I may or may not genuinely believe everything I write. My writings are more an exploration of my thoughts than anything else. I do Google things often in an attempt to be factually correct. Surprising how many times I find conflicting facts! It really does depend on the author in some cases. The older the history the more likely you are to find contradictions. The reason is obvious enough, later generations wanting to change the story to conform to the current set of sensibilities. Those sensibilities do change with every generation. That's why we ask, what's your take on that? We are asking what did you read, or hear, and what did it mean to you? It's like saying to someone, it's cold today and they respond with, it's not bad. Are they starting an argument or just relaying their " take " on the weather. How strongly you believe your own statement will determine the strength with which you defend that statement. That's how it works.
 You know when I was a kid my parents, teachers, friends and others made things perfectly clear to me. When they wanted me to grasp their intent they ended their declaration with, " I mean It . " Especially Mom, she said that a lot. I mean it! If that didn't work she might add, " what till your Father gets home! " Uh oh, that wasn't going to be a good thing. The meaning was crystal clear. Context people, context. My only defense then would be, I didn't mean it. I'm sorry, really, I didn't mean it. LOL    

No comments:

Post a Comment