Tuesday, November 19, 2019

a legacy

 Just a few weeks ago I learned to debone a turkey. Some years ago my wife's sister had taught me to do that with a chicken. It never occurred to me that the skeletons of both are quite similar. But I saw this video on how to debone a turkey and reassemble it, sorta. Thinking that sure would make it easier to carve I bought a smaller turkey, about twelve pounds, and gave it a try. Needless to say it didn't work out quite the way the video portrayed it. Still, I did get it deboned and relatively speaking you could tell it used to be a turkey, although the effect I would up with resembled road kill. Nevertheless I roasted that bird and I have to say it was quite delicious and indeed, easy to carve it up. 
 We are hosting the Thanksgiving dinner this year. It will be a small gathering as family is spread about and not everyone can make it. I'm thinking of deboning the turkey. I wonder though should I break with tradition? We don't really know what was served at the first Thanksgiving as there is only one eye witness account of that event, a letter written by Edward Winslow. He said the harvest festival lasted three days. It was attended by about forty of the " pilgrims " and ninety or more Indians. There was feasting, games and military exercises. He also says it was a time for diplomatic relations. The Indians were in the area at the time of the harvest because they were harvesting their own crops. They told the Pilgrims they would be back in the spring to plant again. The United States began celebrating Thanksgiving on and off beginning in 1789. It wasn't until 1863 when President Lincoln declared the fourth Thursday in November Thanksgiving Day. Exactly when a Turkey became the main course is open for speculation. Some say it is the closest thing to a goose the Pilgrims could find, and goose is an English tradition. Others say how it is a bird that is found only in north America and it is delicious. Well no matter the reason, I don't think they were boned out. That may have started with the " Turdunkin " thing. There are no bones in one of those. 
 I am one for tradition, generally speaking. For many years I resisted having an artificial Christmas tree. I admit I have succumbed in the last few years to convenience and cost. I have justified the breaking of tradition and feel a tinge of guilt each year I do so. I am concerned about the loss. Traditions are maintained solely by repetition. Break the chain and you risk the loss. If I start deboning the turkey will the grandchildren follow suit? If they do and it becomes the norm, the new tradition, what will become of the iconic scene where Dad carves the Turkey. Slicing a boneless mass is quite different than carving a bird. I mean, you see what happened to the Christmas tree. It is being rationalized into the past. It may have started when the candles were removed from the tree and electric lights first added. Safety first! 
 I don't know, I'm still wavering on the boneless turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. Certainly we will have a ham, cranberry sauce, although I'm the only one that eats that, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie and all the other staples. My wife has mentioned she may not do dressing! She says no one eats it, well I do, just a little. I guess I'm just nervous. I have to decide soon. A roasted turkey or turkey that has been roasted? It has the potential to be a tradition changing decision. That's a big responsibility. Now I'm thinking I don't want that to be my legacy. I'll have to consider this further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment