Friday, November 1, 2019

A pineapple-pumpkin

 I went over and sat with my son as we handed out candy. It's been a few years since I have done that and it was reassuring to see that not much had changed. The tradition continues and it's a comfort. The littlest ones are still the cutest and I recognized the majority of the characters. There were only a few witches and werewolves, they not enjoying favor this year.  And not one hobo! I was remembering how hobo was a popular choice when I was young. But I suppose all the hobo's have become the homeless people of today and there is no costume for that. There is no stereotypical homeless person to model a costume after. Isn't that what costumes are all about? Did Pilgrims all wear black with buckles on the shoes and hats? That's certainly the image we have in our mind. Well the days of hobo have long since passed. I'd say that all ended with the establishment of the interstate highway system and people driving all over the country. The trains still run but I haven't seen any open boxcars.  You know I don't think I saw any pirates either. 
 The weather held for trick or treating. although it was quite breezy. The temperature was in the seventies! We estimate 200 children or so came to the porch. Yes, they were all ages. We had ones in strollers and ones that look like truck drivers, their beard sticking out from under the mask. Everyone was given a piece of candy and the only words they heard were, Happy Halloween. I had seen a pineapple cut out like a jack o lantern on Facebook that amused me. I recreated that. It was a big hit. We heard lots of comments about it. I couldn't decide what to really call it until I heard a small child say, " look at the pineapple pumpkin. " Well, there you go. Children have a way of getting to point whether it really makes sense or not. A pineapple pumpkin. Then I wondered if next year we would have pineapple-pumpkin spice! Then there was one little girl, just a toddler that looked into the bowl of candy I was handing out after I had given her a piece. She points at a piece and says to me, UNO ? I couldn't help but chuckle and answer, SI. So I give her another and she says Gracias. Further utilizing my linguist skills I answer, Que Nada. I was amused because we were speaking to each other with about the same level of proficiency. 
 Trick or treating lasts for two hours, at least that is the suggested time. There is no official rule but that is what the town puts out. Greensboro being a small town the trick or treating prime locations are rather close together. Just a route through the housing development and then down a couple of the older streets. My son lives on one of those older streets and it reminds me of the streets I trick or treated on. I didn't have any housing developments and so it was up and down the streets, a lot of walking, but I got a lot of candy! Judging by buckets the kids were carrying they were doing alright! Just about eight o'clock we had run out of candy. I went down the steps to blow out the pineapple pumpkin and here comes one child. I had to tell him, sorry, we are all out. He answered, that's aright, but I still felt bad having to turn him away. 
 So now the pineapple-pumpkin is relegated to the trash can and to memory. I had painted a gas tank for a barbecue grill to resemble a jack o lantern and now am considering how to make it something else. I'm thinking a Pilgrim might be appropriate, just haven't decided upon a plan. All in all it was a relaxing evening and I was happy that my son bought the candy. I did buy a small amount in case we needed backup but as it turned out, he had just enough. It had nothing to do with me being the one to hand it out, it was just a happy coincidence.  Oh, speaking of happy, the most unique costume I saw last night was Bob Ross. Yes, it was Bob Ross, complete with his palette and a fan brush. Now that's original.  


No comments:

Post a Comment