Wednesday, April 10, 2019

telling the story

 We all have those items we have gathered over our lives that hold special significance to us. They come in unexpected ways and sometimes we aren't even aware. But they collect over the years, survivors of life. I have quite a few things like that. Are they artifacts or relics? Well technically an artifact is an object made by human hands. So, yes, I have a few artifacts. Relics, on the other hand are that which remains after loss or decay. So, yes, I have relics as well. I guess you could say my collection of artifacts will become a collection of relics. I mean, they are what will be left after I am gone, something I'm hoping someone considers a loss anyway. And yes, I'll decay as well. So, yes they will become relics.
 A concern of mine is the fate of my artifacts. To others they will just be relics. Do you see the issue? I'm wondering if I were to catalog all my artifacts if I could impart the significance of them. The problem being how to catalog them. Well, the real problem would be what to include in the catalog. How much stuff can I reasonably expect the next generation to save? There are objects and there are artifacts. The difficulty appears to be the defining of each. I have to decide. There are things like an cheap ceramic mug that I purchased when I graduated high school. Other than a faded sticker on the side that says East Hampton High School, and a single memory of buying it, what significance does it have? Means something to me but not all that much. Would I throw it out? No, I have to give credit to my Mother for holding on to it for a good length of time, still it survived. I have a stack of letters of commendation and letters of appreciation garnered over a twenty year naval career. They are stacked in my closet somewhere. Do they interest me? No not really, no big deal. I guess I would not include them in the catalog should I decide to do that.
 The truth is people have to form an attachment to these things for them to be valuable to that person. I suspect that is why monetary value was first devised. I don't really want this, maybe I can trade or sell it for something I do want. I can't expect others to be caretakers of my memories. It is an unsettling thought though. My prized possessions could be scattered to the winds. I will have no control over their fate. It's my stuff! Isn't that the way we all feel? It's my stuff and I should get to decide what happens to it. Did those ancient Egyptian Pharaohs and others get to select what items were included in their tombs? I mean, they may have said they wanted this or that, but after they died, did that happen? I guess it did to some extent, judging by what has been discovered. Still, there may have been other objects that were withheld because, I've always wanted that. 
 I've known a few people that had to downsize for one reason or another. They moved to more comfortable surroundings, places more suited for there present situations. Whether it had to do with finances or health made no difference. The one thing I heard from them all was the lamenting of the loss of their stuff. Even the stuff they hadn't paid any attention to in years. You know the stuff I mean. Things stored away in the attic or basement, in those plastic totes for safekeeping. Old clothes, old papers, and old stuff! Might want that one day. relics to me, artifacts to them. If I catalog my artifacts will they still become relics? Yes they will, they will still become what remains. I guess the real question to be answered is, what relics do you want preserved? You are the only one that can decide that aren't you? No, you don't get to decide that at all. The ones left behind get to make that choice. For that reason I'm thinking I do need to explain just what these objects are before they become relics! Stuff with a story lasts longer. No different with people really. As long as the name is spoken and the stories told they are not really gone.
 Man has built great museums to house artifacts and relics. Those museums exist to tell a story. The story of man. I don't see any reason the same shouldn't apply to a person. We should all set aside some spaces in our homes for those that came before us. In that way keeping their story alive. In this throw away society of today I wonder how much will be saved. Well, the only stuff saved will be what survives. It's a responsibility I will assume. A catalog of my artifacts. I always say if you want something done, and done right, you have to do it yourself! Guess that applies if you want to live forever as well. I'd better get started. My artifacts will be what remains, relics of a life lived, I want the story told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment