Wednesday, April 17, 2019

studying

 Ever hear of a guy named Epicuris? Well, he was one of those old Greek philosophers. He just sat around thinking about stuff and saying thoughtful things to others. Seems like a great job to me. Do we have any philosophers today? I suppose we do but I haven't heard about any. I think it must be like great composers. We have all heard of Bach, Beethoven, Brahms and that whole gang. They wrote symphonies and great pieces of music. Does anyone write that stuff today? If they do, why haven't I heard about it? Have you ever thought about that? I mean, surely somebody must be writing that stuff, but I've never heard about it. The closest I hear is some conductor directing his orchestra to play the old guys stuff! What's up with that? 
 Well, anyway Epicuris said this, " do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not, remember that what you have now was once among the things you only hoped for. " I've heard that same sentiment before, just not from Epicuris. I doubt the folks I heard it from ever heard of Epicuris. But I do believe it goes with what I say, " there is little you can say that hasn't been said before. " I believe that to be a true statement. The trigger is not in the words you say, but the emotion you convey. We react to feelings more so than knowledge. That's the reason smart people make dumb mistakes. That is also why I say, " emotions are great motivators but seldom good guides. " 
 Those thoughts came to mind as I scrolled down my Facebook page. I read the postings, people complaining about everything, people moaning and groaning. They are spoiling what they have by desiring what they don't have. Then I find myself doing the same, reacting to the postings. My emotions motivating me to respond! It isn't always a good thing, we should temper our emotions with common sense and logic. But then we are programmed to respond with passion. Isn't that the word we use? When you care about something or someone you are passionate! " Passion is an emotional response, a great motivator, but seldom a good guide." " Do not let today's passion destroy yesterday's pleasure." It's saying the same thing as Epicuris, sort of. That's the nuance of language. 
 The purpose of language is to convey our thoughts and feelings. It's why man stated talking in the first place and I believe animals do the same thing. The big difference being, animals sort of mind their own business. They may issue a warning to others in their group about danger, or perhaps other basic messages, but other than that, I think they just mind their own business. Do they enjoy the things they have? I suppose they do, not desiring much beyond the basic needs of any living creature, food, water and shelter. Anything beyond that, is gravy! Isn't that pretty much what Epicuris was saying? Another favorite old guy of mine is Alexander Pope. He wrote this thought, " what reason weaves, by Passion is undone. " I found that quote long after I had formed my own opinion, so it came as a confirmation. Perhaps I learned that lesson from those stoic New Englanders where I was raised.
 It is an amazing thing, this social media. To me it is still a new technology. To my grandchildren, it has always existed. I remember the early days and the atmosphere did seem different. It did seem as though people were far more cordial. Maybe that is just wishful thinking, we do tend to remember things as we wished they were, rather than how they were. Sometimes the two things do get confused, intermixed in our minds. I  do enjoy reading the postings about other peoples little pleasures and joys in life. The sharing of their children's accomplishments, the little victories in life. I like reading the words of support and encouragement offered to those in need of that. I think that is why all the little splinter groups have been formed. Birds of a feather, flock together. Yes, we all would rather listen to like minds. It is a confirmation, a reassurance that we are correct. And we all need that. The frailty of our emotions dictate that. 
 I think the bottom line in all of this would have be, how much do you need? If your needs are being met should you desire more? Well, there is nothing wrong with that as long as you don't let that desire ruin what you already have. That's what Epicuris said and I have to agree with him. But then again maybe the question should be, are you satisfied with what you have? If you are why, why are you searching for more? What's the motivation? Emotion? Emotion is a great motivator, seldom a good guide. Control your emotions and you control your happiness? But what is happiness but a release of emotion. There's a lesson there. I'll have to study on that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment