Tuesday, October 16, 2018

where diid you get that?

 I heard on the news that Sears has filed for bankruptcy. Good ole, dear Sear & Roebuck. Roebuck stopped being used in the name in 2004. That was the year Sears merged with K-Mart, it was all downhill from there. Will Sears make a comeback? I don't know but seeing it close it's doors will be like hearing about the passing of an old friend. I haven't visited that friend in quite some time but haven't forgotten. Sears Roebuck & Co. was a large part of Christmas at my house. It was the primary go to catalogue for all those Christmas wishes. Since 1933, the year of the first Christmas wish book, I think almost every child in America " browsed " those pages. You could say it was the first browser! Pages were bookmarked and items circled. The number of circles indicating priority. At least that is the way it worked at my house.
 There were other catalogues around, Montgomery Ward, Spiegel and JC Penney being the most notable but Sears definitely lead the pack. Was it the wide selection or glossy pages? Or was it the revolving credit that Mom and Dad enjoyed so much? It was like having an account with Santa Claus himself. I remember vividly the Sears catalogue and time spent thumbing through it. Those others were there but I only remember the names. I'm not sure why but the perception was their products just weren't as good as Sears. I was surprised when I heard of Sears acquiring K-Mart. K-mart is the red headed step-child of Walmart, the king of retailers! Why Sears wanted to associate itself with that is beyond me? I can only guess their hope was to stay competitive. Walmart and Target stores proved too much I guess.
 A lot has changed since I was kid in the fifties and sixties. Now we can order anything, from just about anyone, online. It sure makes the Sears " Big Book " look like a pamphlet in comparison. Face it, there is no comparison. Maybe it is just a thing of the past but I do believe holding that book in your hands added to the thrill. I still prefer reading an actual book rather than an online thing. Books seem to have more personality. The Sears big book also served as a booster seat at Thanksgiving or whenever it was necessary. What a shame. Times change and so does retail. The only thing that doesn't change is the quest for profits. That will never go away.
 I haven't given up on Sears though. Look at Toys R Us, there is talk of them making a return. They went bankrupt. If Toys R Us can do it maybe Sears can too. Big business is still a bit of a mystery to me. How these corporations can operate millions of dollars in debt is beyond me. They talk of assets and their worth. They are only worth what someone else is willing to pay though. What does Sears have to offer? Buildings mostly would be my guess. Sears doesn't manufacture a thing. Their biggest asset, I would think, is sentiment. If they can find a way to market that, they would do alright once again.But I think Sears & Roebuck allowed that to slip away in pursuit of greater profits in a changing market. Well, all that is for the business people to figure out. I'll always remember the Sears catalogue and the excitement of circling the items I wanted. The kids today can do the same on the computer I suppose, but how to get Mom and Dad to see it? I usually just left that book in Dad's recliner or on the furniture somewhere. The pages would be open! Hey, the bathroom was a prime location to leave that marked up catalogue. Wonder what the kids today do? Send an e-mail with an attachment? Or do you tweet that information?
 Strange isn't it? I remember back in the day someone would ask, where did you get that, Sears and Roebuck? It was intended as a slight, inferring the product was of inferior quality. Now hearing of the possible downfall of that company I am saddened. Now, I would be proud to say, why Yes, Yes I did!        

No comments:

Post a Comment