Thursday, October 18, 2018

pressured to practice

 A couple days ago I read an interesting posting on Facebook. It was a longer post and I'm certain many passed over it. This post was talking about the Catholic faith and how it was misunderstood by many people. Really the post was in defense of that religious practice. I say practice because each denomination of the Christian faith, any faith actually, has its' own practices and rituals. At least I took it as a defense and I understood the sentiment exactly. Tradition, ritual, or familiarity, whatever label you wish to apply does give us comfort. The practice of our faith also provides that comfort. Another reader, a lady I know only by reputation, remarked that it was sad, the largest and most misunderstood religion in the world. My response was, let's not confuse practice with principle. A small discussion followed that exchange. It is these small discussions that linger in my thoughts and become the subject of these musings. I get to feeling a little more explanation is required. The explanation isn't meant to instruct anyone but merely to clarify my own thoughts. Someone said, If you want to know what you believe, write. The author of that bit of wisdom escapes me at the moment. I have found that to be true and so here I am writing.
 What I had in mind when posting that remark about principle, was that faith is the sole requirement. The principle or primary purpose is to provide us with comfort, reassurance and on occasion, courage. The belief in our God, whatever we conceive that God to be, is what provides that. The practice of religion is the outward display of that faith. Initially used to " show " others the benefits of faith, rituals were developed. Perhaps the initial intent was to appease the Gods by some outward display, but my thinking is it was done more for the benefit of others and personal reassurance. No one wants to be alone, especially in belief.
 I don't believe my God requires attendance, only my belief. I was taught the church wasn't the building, but rather the people gathered together. It is a sentiment I have taken to heart. And yes, I learned that in the church building while attending services. That church is the one I was baptized in and attended throughout my youth. It is a magnificent edifice. An Episcopal church I practiced many rituals similar to the Catholics. I never gave that much thought back then, I just routinely attended my church. The way others practiced their faith I found amusing, or just strange. There was much misinformation circulated regarding that. I admit to not having attended an Episcopal service in quite some time. From all accounts much has changed since my last visit. I read where the Book of Common Prayer that I used has been replaced, retired as a relic of the past. I'm not certain what has replaced it or what the changes are. I find that unsettling. They have changed the familiar. But I realize that it is only the outward expression of faith that has been changed, or at least I hope that is the case.
 With that thought I wonder about the outward display of faith. Is that a requirement? I would say it is not, but a natural occurrence for one that believes. What I mean is it is a natural extension of belief. In principle, we must act in that fashion, for that is the heart of belief. The principle is the fundamental truth or proposition that guides our actions. For me, the existence of God is a fundamental truth. I can not accept a theory that everything is accidental or random. Too much order exists in the universe for me to believe that. In order for the universe to have intelligent order, and I don't believe you can deny that, there is a pattern to it all, wouldn't that require an intelligent " something " to order it? I admit it is beyond my comprehension, just what that something is, and that is where belief enters the picture.
 The fundamental question is, what's in it for me? Isn't that the truth of it? Man has always made appeals to his God(s) to intervene in his affairs. Whether we pray for recovery from an illness or success in war we ask for help. For the Christian what is the promise? Life everlasting is the response. That is the reward for acknowledging the existence of God and obeying his commands. Isn't that the Principle, the fundamental truth? It is the belief in that fundamental truth that provides us with the comfort, reassurance and courage we seek. Of course that is dependent upon faith. For what is faith? Faith is the belief that it will happen, whatever you wish to happen. That is the long and short of it. Pragmatic? Yes I suppose that it is a pragmatic approach, but one that stems from my New England heritage of stoicism. Practicality being a major consideration, I seldom allow myself to get enraptured with ethereal things. Those things break much too easily. Belief should be unshakable and infallible but seldom is. That is the frailty of man and why man requires his God(s). The outward displays reassure us. For the present time I go forward on principle alone. That isn't to say that won't change tomorrow or next week. When my principle feels challenged I may resume the practice. In the meantime, I feel no pressure to practice.         

No comments:

Post a Comment