Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Social accountabilty

 I first saw it on social media and now I've seen it on the evening news. towns creating legislation about trick or treating. Fines will be levied and people possibly detained. I admit at first I didn't believe the reports and though they were exaggerated. As it turns out they are not, this is a reality here in America. I can't help but question why? Why is this necessary? What has happened since I was a young man that made legislation necessary? No one had to tell me when I was too old to trick or treat, let alone make a law about it. I don't recall there even being a set time for that activity. Common sense and decency ruled the day. But now something has happened to make this a necessity? I have to believe that such laws or regulations were precipitated by something. I mean. the town board, or whatever, doesn't just decide out of the blue that we need to establish age limits on trick or treating.
 I don't remember when I first heard about the time thing. I only recall the town saying trick or treating will be from 6 to 8. I don't believe any punishment was ever imposed for violating that. When I was small we just waited until dark and went until we were tired, or folks turned out the lights. That's how I remember it anyway. Well, I think Mom and Dad decided when I had enough when I was really little. I always had more than enough. Apparently things have changed somewhat, or is it that the children have changed? Children have learned behaviors so what are the parents teaching the children? That for me, is the question to be answered in all of this. I was taught to knock on the door, say trick or treat and thank you. That was the protocol to be followed. Trick or treating wasn't a license to be rude or greedy. Despite all the tales of mischief I like to tell, we really didn't do all that much. Yes shaving cream and bars of soap were involved. But that was done by those too old to trick or treat. Parents, for the most part, had no knowledge that their kids were doing it, it was always someone else's kids. No damage was done so, it was overlooked.
 Setting all that aside I do wonder why it became necessary to tell, no not tell, make it illegal for children over the age of twelve to go trick or treating? By the time I was twelve there was no way I was putting on any costume and going out in public! Are you serious? And we all knew, no costume, no knocking on doors and trick or treating. No, I didn't need anyone to tell me about any of that, anymore than I needed awareness training. I was well aware I should act a bit more mature than that, that stuff is for kids. Of course, that was before we were told that everything should go our way. It was before the world was expected to change to suit my wants and needs. I knew that trick or treating was a holiday for begging. It was all very cute, dressing up and pretending you would trick people if they didn't give you candy. All the while we knew that charity was extended in the spirit of the holiday and you didn't demand charity. Today there are an awful lot of folks believing that charity is some sort of government guarantee. There is no shame in charity, either asking or receiving it! Maybe that is why no costume is necessary. Maybe that is why your age doesn't matter anymore. There is no social accountability, only legal consequence. Isn't that the message being sent? Definitely a different attitude than the one I was taught.
 Yeah I know we have to be tolerant and accepting of others. I also know that " social accountability " played an important role when I was growing up. Today some say that it is bullying and some of it is, but it played a role. I didn't want to be teased for dressing up as a cute little ghost or something on Halloween when I was twelve or older. That is what I call social accountability. You can call it peer pressure or whatever, but it was definitely a influencing factor in my development. It was the same reason you didn't go running your mouth, you would get corrected, and quickly. The other kids with you might have thought you were " cool " but your parents and any adult in earshot might very well intervene. You were aware of that possibility and there was no recourse, unlike today where your parents will sue someone. No, in my day parents would thank the other person for correcting their children's behavior, apologize to them, and further corrective action would be taken. That is social accountability. Didn't need legislation for that.
 Our parents were the wardens and every adult in town the corrections officers. Infractions would be reported to the warden immediately. And for that reason I ask, where are the parents? If you have to make legislation preventing teenagers from trick or treating what is that saying about the parents? Seems to me their parents should have taught them enough self respect and common courtesy to know better. Instead these teenagers are set loose like a bunch of marauding thugs? What happened? What has changed? Morals, ethics and common sense thrown by the wayside. If it isn't against the law I can do that! If you don't agree with me I will riot, pass out ribbons and set fire to the neighborhood. I have " rights " and can do whatever I like. You don't like it, I'll throw a tantrum. If there isn't a law, in writing, saying I can't do it, I will sue you as well. The only accountability I have is to the law. I have no social accountability whatsoever. Try holding me to that and I will call you a bigot, a racist, and any number of undesirable adjectives. You are just intolerant and oppressive. Social accountability? No, that's just an old fashioned notion. Quit being a bully.

No comments:

Post a Comment