Thursday, October 25, 2018

what remains?

 In considering the miracle that is life, and when it begins, I have more questions that answers. I say that because answers are verifiable facts, proven by scientific methods, or universally accepted as truth. Faith plays no role in fact. The only fact associated with faith is whether you believe or not, and even then only you know the true answer. That's far from a universal acceptance. But what I was thinking about was the infusion of life itself. Is life just the result of chemical and biological reactions? Science shows that, but that explanation isn't universally accepted as truth. There is more to life than that, that portion of life we call the soul. It's universally accepted that we all have one, it's the source of that soul that is in dispute. Divine intervention ? I think it safe to say the majority of the people in the world would agree that is so. Yes there are those that deny the existence of any divine source. The reasons for their denial are as varied as the individual. I think, for many, because that denial has no immediate or verifiable consequences it is easily dismissed. The acceptance of a divine presence requires an obedience to that presence, an inconvenience. I would agree that coming to terms with that presence can be a struggle. The acceptance of a higher power isn't an easy thing for many of us. Placing ourselves in a subservient role is not something to be desired, is it? It is, if you believe that it will lead to the continuation of life, specifically your life. Isn't that the prize being dangled before us? Yes I'd say it was. It is an unfortunate reality that the majority of us will not do something without the promise of reward. For the Christian, Jesus is our example. What was his reward for doing the will of God? He was killed. From that example we started calling folks martyrs that endured punishment and death for their beliefs. The word martyr comes from the Arabic word for witness. Maybe that is why there were more martyrs in ancient times. An extreme example of subservience perhaps but a very powerful one no doubt. It has left a lasting impression upon millions for over two thousand years! And we are taught Jesus went to sit at the right hand of the father. The first part is verifiable by historic accounts, and the later by faith alone. Jesus lives does he not? He does to those that believe.
 I wandered off track a bit with all of that. I was thinking about life and its' beginning. I believe that our soul is a piece of energy infused into our body by divine providence. I happen to be a Christian and so that is my faith. I believe that others, not of my religious persuasion, receive that same energy. What, or who they believe does the infusing I am not concerned with. I am concerned with their acceptance of a greater power than themselves. The soul is also what we call our conscience. I don't believe you can separate the two. It is true that our conscience is influenced by the society in which we live. That's the sole reason some behaviors are acceptable in one and not in another. But what is being judged is your reaction to the behavior of others, not whether that behavior is good or bad. Is that reaction acceptable? But we are given free will. And free will is the ability to override conscience. How much do you listen to that inner voice? Or are you more concerned with hearing acceptance from the external forces in your life? In that is the basis of faith. It is also the basis for life itself.
 The question remains for me, is this infusion of life, the soul, unique to each individual? That is to say, if I hadn't been born would someone else have received my soul? Where does that soul go upon death? Is it recycled? I believe it has to be because energy can neither be created nor destroyed, energy is eternal. God is eternal, life is eternal. The bigger question, the one we all want the answer to is, will our conscience remain? That is to say, will we know that we died? If we do, we are still alive aren't we? Does that depend upon obedience to a higher power? For me, it does. I believe each of us are unique in the universe and that stems from the infusion of life, a gift from the creator. What we do with that gift is solely our choice. That's because that's what a true gift is, given freely without expectation of return.    

No comments:

Post a Comment