Friday, October 19, 2018

verbal violence

 Occasionally foul language will appear on Facebook, falling within community standards I assume, as I haven't heard of any of it being removed, political statements notwithstanding. Now I dislike seeing that language as I find it offensive in certain social settings. I have expressed this on many occasions and caught some flack for doing so, so be it, I will continue to point it out. I do think of Facebook as being in polite company. Some folks I am more familiar with than others, and some I really have no clue about, I seriously question how " honest " the majority of us are, myself included, as we present ourselves to the world. I believe it is far easier to be extroverted, or assertive, when not dealing with people in person. A degree of security is afforded by the relative anonymity of the internet. People can only see what is presented. A wealth of information is available to everyone with just a few clicks. I do question why some refuse to investigate certain claims or assertations before commenting on them. But that is a different matter altogether. I was concerned with this use of language. Many people feel that using foul language is an indication of intelligence. It has been reported both ways incidentally. I don't believe it has a thing to do with intelligence, or a lack of it. It has everything to do with respecting others.
 Cursing, using foul and abusive language is nothing more than verbal assault. It is a form of violence. As such, it does nothing more than incite more of the same. I am tempted at times to respond in kind but exercise restraint out of respect for others. I spent twenty years in the Navy so I feel more than qualified to speak about such matters. You know, I was a choir boy once and there I learned some of those phrases so popular today. During my Navy years I heard many more colorful expressions. A regular heritage of vocabulary you might say. Yes, I engaged in such while in that society. I expect that has changed somewhat since my retirement as the Navy " society " has changed with the inclusion of women on ships. Prior to that you had what? A bunch of men attempting to assert their dominance among men! Yes, that's what men do, women do it too, but in a different fashion. If you want to be tough, you have to act tough. You are supposed to be the Alpha male! Isn't that what we men are told? The leader of the pack, the dominant male, will get all he wants, wimps need to take a back seat. The survival of the fittest! I've witnessed that on more than one occasion. Might makes right! It is also the reason for joining the crowd, there is safety in numbers. If you can't dominate, be popular. That's the general thinking. Better to be subservient than beat up!
 I believe that this general acceptance of language and use, is a reflection of society in general. We have lowered the bar considerably. Where once there was at least a pretense of civility, that has been thrown aside. We see that in our politicians, celebrities, educators and in some instances religious leaders! It has permeated our society to the point that most don't even notice it. Or, if they do, they say nothing. Well, unless it becomes useful to disparage someone that is. Then we will feign offense and disgust by the use of such language. In 1939 Rhett Butler says to Scarlett O'Hara, " frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. " It was a shocking thing to say in the movies, in polite company. Was that the beginning of this social acceptance of verbal violence? It has certainly been repeated often enough. But Rhett was justified in the use of such language wasn't he? Men thought so and the ladies swooned.      
 Crude and offensive language by bullies, nothing new about that, accepting it is. I'm no prude, no saint and certainly not without my moments. But at least I am aware and attempting to make a change for the better. If we all want to be civil we do need to start acting civilly. Seems obvious enough to me. But instead a significant number, if not the majority, have decided that verbal violence is somehow an acceptable form of expression. It's what everybody does. Bothers me though, and I will continue to point it out. It isn't about any "right" or "choice" it's about respecting others. People using those words use them because they want that impact, that gut punch! As these words become used more frequently they are losing their punch, their shock value. Their effectiveness is diminished. Is getting numb to that a good thing? No, I don't believe it is. What else will become socially acceptable? I'm seeing a whole lot of behaviors displayed today that not long ago would have landed you in jail! Yes, some call it acceptance, some call it tolerance, and some call it none of my business. In response to that I would add,


       "No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."
John Donne, Meditation XVII
 So yes, it is my business! The choice to buy it is your own. It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment