Thursday, May 18, 2017

spoiled

 I was thinking I wouldn't be writing any blogs for a while because of a little surgical procedure. I guess I was starting to feel a little sorry for myself. It only took a read of my timeline to change that attitude. What with all the well wishes and encouragement I got there, I was truly humbled. It surely made me realize just how fortunate I am, and have been, over the years. Why I have no more right to feel sorry for myself than the man in the moon, and we all know that man has no rights ! Although I suspect that there is a liberal group out there protesting that. And so now having chastised myself for such selfish thoughts  I am determined to continue with my ( almost ) daily missive. There so many others out there with far greater challenges than having to temporarily type with one hand. I don't see that stopping them. As the Navy motto says " semper fortis "  which means " always courageous. " Well the truth is the Navy has two other " mottos " but that is the one I like best.
 As it turned out this procedure isn't near as bad as I had envisioned. It is bandaged up pretty good and so I haven't seen the actual incision yet. I'm anxious to get a good look at it. I'm a curious person and want to examine it. All my fingers wiggle so far so that is a good sign. I'm certain I'll make a full recovery in no time. Fact is it is a little embarrassing some of the fuss I was making about the whole deal that is really no big deal. As I said my own timeline provided some perspective.
 This episode has given me a better look into the health care system. I did receive what I consider to be excellent care. I am in no way complaining about any of that. My wait times were reasonable and everyone was very accommodating for the most part. The thing that I did notice was the repetition involved. I was asked the same grouping of questions by several people on several different occasions. Sometimes they were back to back ! The official explanation I'm quite certain, would be safety of the patient. I'm sure that is a concern, as it should be, but I'm thinking the majority of that stems from preventing lawsuits. The doctors, nurses, and everyone else covering their butts. I can't say as I blame them one bit, I'd do the same. I just can't help but think how much cost it must add to the whole thing though. I also noticed a lot of the frills that we enjoy in America but I'm quite certain are reserved for the " top tier " patients in a lot of these foreign countries. I can't say that with a certainty as I have never received any sort of medical treatment elsewhere. Still I doubt they have flat screen television in your private pre-op waiting room in those third world countries, maybe not even in those countries with socialized medicine. I do believe you get what you pay for, and barring that what you insure against. We Americans do like all the frills, always have. Just look at our idea of a picnic or going camping as examples. Yeah, we are just a bit spoiled. And that is what I was acting like, a spoiled little American, poor me. Shameful is what it is. I should have remembered fathers advice when faced with adversity, " buck up." You know I never really got that reference but understood the sentiment.












No comments:

Post a Comment