Tuesday, May 16, 2017

down for maintenance

 Today I am going to have some elective surgery done to my left hand. It would seem I have developed a disease called Dupuytren's contracture. It is named after the doctor that first diagnosed it I am told. The contracture part means my fingers are beginning to contract or curl inward. If left untreated they will close and I will not be able to open them. Presently only one finger is being impacted but the others will follow. So, off to surgery for me to get this straightened out, literally. I'm not a bit concerned about the procedure as they will put me out and when I wake up, it's done and I can go home. No problem. The only thing that bothers me is I will have a very difficult time typing my blog for a few weeks. I'm slow enough with two hands but with one ? I just don't know if I will have the patience. I even thought about getting one of those programs were you just talk and it types, but half the time the girl at McDonalds can't seem to understand when I tell her I want a " cawfee " so I'm not placing much faith in that plan. The wife offered to type but I don't think that would work either. I would have to write it out in longhand. Then she would have to decipher those hieroglyphics ! Well, I'll just do what I can.
 I seldom go the doctors and this is part of the reason. Go for one thing and find something else wrong. Reminds me of taking your car to the garage. Yes sir, we changed that alternator belt but you really need wiper blades too. Before it is all over they want you to rebuild the engine or introduce you to their cousin, the car salesman ! I can't blame the doctor this time I did ask him to take a look at it while I was there. He did and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, he recommended the surgery, go figure. He was very persuasive I'll give him that. I really don't want to wind up with a claw for a hand. And he told me it would be easier for him rather than waiting. So, here I go. I am a little nervous that when they get me on that table they may decide to look around a bit, find some more stuff that needs fixing, you know, while they got you up on the rack. That's how it usually works.
 I have made it 63 years without having to take any daily medications. In my younger days I did self medicate frequently but all that is history now. According to my charts I am now pre-hypertensive. Yup, I almost have high blood pressure and I'm certain they will want to medicate that. I'm not going to do it though, no sir. I'll just wait and see what happens. That's my plan of treatment anyway, don't fix something till it is broken I say. I can just cut back on the salt and exercise a little more, I'll be fine. Geez don't these doctors understand, I'm not twenty anymore and my body isn't going to be like that ever again, I'll live with it. Not that we have a choice right ? You either live with it or die. There is no fountain of youth, not even in a bottle.
 So I'm guessing I'll be down for maintenance. It may not be a bad thing to take a short break, kinda get refreshed. But I don't think so and that is what bothers me. Either use it or lose it is my thinking. I enjoy writing my thoughts every morning it has become a habit. It's a good habit too, to exercise the mind. I am sometimes amazed at the things I remember when writing my stories, things I hadn't thought about in years. It is good to get the dust out of the corners, turn the switches on and off so to speak. Never know what I might discover. I'll you " posted " as best as I can.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment