Thursday, March 9, 2017

Listening

Back in the day, when I was being raised, a child was to be seen and not heard. At the time I thought that just meant adults were talking about stuff they didn't want me to hear. I guess there was some truth in that although it really held more meaning that that. It was a lesson to listen before speaking. That was especially true around your elders who, it was to be assumed where smarter than you ! Being smart back then didn't necessarily involve having college degrees and such. No, it was all about common sense and acting in a responsible fashion.
 It was in that realization that our patents lived. They knew their areas of expertise and spoke on that. They didn't presume to know more about things outside of their province than the ones living in that province. That is to say, to know it all. They did the sensible thing and deferred to those in the know so to speak. Sure they often complained about the decision those folks made but it was their decision to make. In particular this applied to politics. The " common " folk voted for whoever they felt was best qualified for the position. Most of those " common " folk voted according to the general consensus for the geographic area they lived in. We all know that certain areas are predominately one political party or the other. For many that is how the decision was made. I'm a Republican because my Daddy was a Republican or vice versa. The reason was a simple one, they were listening to their parents !
 Now the argument could be made that we used to elect the adults to run the show. I would say that isn't happening as much as it used to. It seems like the kids are in charge, That is the reason you see all this liberal and progressive litigating going on. They are like children saying I should be allowed to eat all the ice cream I want. Everyone knows it is a bad idea but that doesn't matter, it is what I want. Too many " kids " speaking out before listening. The thing about listening is it is the avenue to understanding. I can learn everything in the book, but if I don't understand it does me little good. It is also why many are calling Trump a bully ! Trump doesn't really have that inside knowledge of how government works and so is trying to bully his way through. As children we often tried the tactic of throwing a temper tantrum or crying to get our way. I would say for the majority of my generation that didn't work  ! It was met with, I'll give you something to cry about. But Trump is acting like the adult in the room right now. The kids don't like it one bit, hence the uproar. But Trump is insisting upon fiscal responsibility and  reasonable caution. The kids aren't getting everything they want !
 Yes our government was founded upon Christian values and traditions. John Adams in a speech to the military in 1798 warned his fellow countrymen stating, "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. I believe that is the truth of it. I also believe we have begun to abandon that moral and religious society. It is that, and that alone, that is leading to our downfall. Morals are a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do. Call me old fashioned or a prude, call me whatever name you like but I will say this, those standards of behavior have certainly changed and not for the betterment of society in general ! Certain individuals, or groups of individuals may benefit as to their own conscience but not the whole. And belief; belief is being replaced by science. If you can't prove it, it doesn't exist. Yes, John Adams was correct in asserting that man does need a bridle ! Unbridled we are as children acting upon impulse alone. Acting for the moment. That bridle has to be moral behaviors. As far as religion goes, he didn't say any particular religion. What is religion ? Religion is nothing more than a belief in a power greater than yourself. It should be obvious that power should be listened to. I can't speak for others but my greater power isn't saying, do whatever you like !

No comments:

Post a Comment