Monday, October 7, 2024

Talking?

  Being on Facebook is like being in a crowded room. Lots of people talking but you didn't hear the start of the conversation. Then, trying to be sociable, it is social media, you attempt to join the discussion. The problem with that is like a childhood game of post office, the original topic has either been distorted or changed completely. That has happened to me on numerous occasions, especially before I knew you had to click on "view more comments" below the block. I learned that and "most relevant" was added to your choices. I'll decide what is relevant if you don't mind Zuck. I'm always seeing little changes like that. I'm guessing they are ways to justify your job. You have to make suggestions and do something I suppose. That's the problem with computers, they will do the same thing, the same way, every time for years! All you really need is someone to keep the thing running, the "job" itself is covered.
  I have entered the conversation mid stream and put my foot in it. Yes, like Forest Gump said, it happens. It was the result of not knowing the main topic. I know I should do my research, read through every comment and cross reference it to the original topic to ensure I'm on point. Well, there are times I bring up the "drag" to coin a cowboy term. It means something totally different today. Involves the same "area" however, funny how time changes meanings of words. All that I have addressed a few times. I am often chided for not doing my research. It's true I never attended a University or College and so I never became a researcher, although I did have a subscription to Ancestry.Com. I have looked at a few profile pages on Facebook as well, but I don't trust that source.
  In the last few months or so I have noticed the room is a lot less crowded. There aren't as many discussions going on. I wonder if it is the result of that misunderstanding and miscommunication. What I used to call; you don't understand and you are lying. Time has changed the meaning on many words and phrases. I do original research and so never have any citations. Citations are something given for wrongdoing, for the most part, although you can be cited for heroism. It's a contextual thing. You can't cite yourself, even though you feel like the expert. I've had others request citations when I related a personal experience. I need to "prove" my own actions. No problem, I just tell the story in the third person in those circumstances. 
  I do try to provide the source when I feel it is necessary. Opinions do not require a citation. But it is facts that require citations. The problem there being I can find some citation to support practically any fact I want. Statistics are especially vulnerable to that. The old is it half full or half empty argument. I'm told science has found the answer to the chicken and egg question. The chicken came first. That because the only place the protein required to form an egg shell is, you guessed it, inside a chicken! 
 Still, there are many, many scientists today that will dispute that fact insisting the egg came first, through evolution. Neither group attempts to explain how either "object" got here in the first place. In my experience statistics and facts are usually presented in such a way as to give someone an advantage of some type. Take that yearly flu shot as an example. It is touted as highly effective when in fact at best it is 60% effective at preventing you from getting the flu. In February of this year the CDC declared this years flu shot 46% effective. The CDC is my source. Trust the science.
  But like that childhood game of post office I have wandered off topic once again. I was talking about not knowing what I was talking about. I'm an expert in that field and so will not attempt to provide any citations. I'll let my friends list be the source. Lots will confirm that, I don't know what I'm talking about. It really doesn't matter at all as I'm certain I will not influence anyone, change anyone's opinions on anything. There is no test at the end. I'm the sole judge on every topic! I'm told I shouldn't be judging. I'm judging that as incorrect. What are you doing? 
 I googled this question; conversation or talking, this is what I got: "We think of conversations as more formal talk. Still, in a dictionary, conversation is defined as informal talk in a situation between two or more participants. We also use the term dialogue. This concept has been subject to extensive theory and discussion." I'm never quite certain if I'm entering a conversation, a talk or a dialogue. Facebook should have a button for that.

                                                                                  

                                                          Do you remember 

No comments:

Post a Comment