Sunday, October 13, 2024

Open sesame

  Open Sesame. That was the only password I heard or knew as a child. Ali Baba used that command to open the door. That is as much of the story as I now recall. Today I have so many passwords I simply can't remember them all. It also appears that those passwords are not affording the protection I'm expecting from them. I do find it strange that the instructions for creating a strong password are getting longer and more complicated every day. They have to include upper case, lower case, numbers, and special symbols in varying lengths. That's strange when my bank says a four digit "pin code" is all the protection I need to access the atm. I'm good as long as I don't share that with anyone. 
  I have seen various services, programs or whatever to keep your passwords safe and organized. I have concerns about that as to my way of thinking then a hacker only needs to hack that. Know what I mean? It's like having a master key to all the other locks. All my passwords are recorded in an old school rolodex. I know, you're not supposed to do that. Well, if you can decipher my handwriting, you could probably hack my computer, so I'm not concerned. In the last few years, I've received notification from various websites that I need to change my password. Some of them require that every six months! I believe those are the government ones like SS administration and my department of defense pay account. I often forget about that and when I do go to the website, I find my password no longer is valid. Resetting a password can be a real hassle.
  I do have my wi-fi secured. You need to have a password to access that, but the requirements aren't nearly as strict. There was a time I didn't secure that and found a neighbor had been using it. I don't believe they had any malicious intent just saving a few bucks. I've heard where that has become an issue with Netflix, too many freely sharing their passwords to access that. I just smile as I think, they never thought about that beforehand. I have known for a very long time, give someone an inch, they will take a mile. The "honor" system has become an old-fashioned idea, there is no honor among thieves. Today people are more likely to focus on legality than morality. If there isn't a law that says I can't; I can, I should and it's my right! The constitution doesn't say anything about passwords or Netflix! 
  I've seen a few changes over the years. When I first enlisted in the Navy I was issued a service number. I still remember that. D12-13-09. You were quizzed on that number often. During training you had to enter a room wearing a gas mask. The room was filled with tear gas. As soon as you entered you had to walk to the first station. There you had to remove that mask. Then you proceeded to the far end of the room where you were questioned, name, rank and serial number. You had to answer correctly to exit. I remembered that number! 
 The next year or so serial numbers were no longer issued, you just used your social security number. There was nothing secret about that and it was written and posted everywhere. My name and social was listed on the pay list outside the post office on ship. So was the entire crew, except for the officers. Strange, because it said on your social security card at that time, not to be used for identification. That isn't on today's cards. Today we use your ss number for everything, but it is supposed to be a secret. Just give out the last four. Four is proof enough, just like that pin number at the ATM. Of course, the other person has to have the other five numbers in the proper sequence to verify that. Sort of like how the lottery works I suppose. Why can't our passwords be like that? 
  I do wonder about what security features will become commonplace in the future. Retinal scans, fingerprints, dna sampling? Each of us do have a distinct DNA profile from what I understand. Will that sequence be your password? Maybe, but then it could be cloned, couldn't it? Does a clone have the exact same DNA sequence as the original? How could you tell? I don't know. I do know one thing for certain, locks and passwords only serve to keep honest people honest, they do little to stop a thief. That is one thing that hasn't changed in thousands of years, I have no expectation it ever will. 

                                                                                

         

No comments:

Post a Comment