Thursday, October 17, 2024

Let them believe

  With the holidays fast approaching my thought's just naturally turn to my youth. I can't speak for others, but for me Christmas happened when I was a kid. That is what I think about whenever it is mentioned. All the excitement, the anticipation and preparation's. It seemed like the whole world was involved with that except for the Jewish people, they were celebrating Hanukah. I knew little about that other than I heard those kids got one present every day for eight days. I never gave that much thought though, Mr. Brill, he was a Jewish man, often played Santa Claus in the parade, once I think he rode in an airplane! But I was very young then and so may it be more of a "learned" memory. Learned memories are the stories you have heard so long and so often you start to believe you were there. I don't recall ever hearing anything about what others may or may not be doing. Nothing about the Muslims, Jehovah's witnesses or Buddhists. No idea what they do.
  I can't say when I realized that Santa Claus was just a myth, a story told to kids. I had three older siblings and so was informed early I suppose. I do remember thinking when Mom or Dad said; ask Santa Claus; that meant you probably weren't getting that. Well, I knew I would get one "big" gift" but was never sure which one it would be. I don't remember ever writing a letter to Santa though, all I remember is marking the items in the Sears catalogue. I may have given my Mom a few notes, a few hints now and again. It sure was an exciting time. Thinking back I do remember asking for this or that, wishing for Santa to bring that stuff. I had a wonderful childhood in that regard. I can honestly say I do not ever recall a Christmas when I was disappointed. I'm certain I asked for a good number of things that I never received, but I also never noticed that either. 
  When I had my own children I enjoyed their excitement, their anticipation of the event. And the event was getting those gifts although we did focus on the meaning of Christmas and celebrated Jesus's birthday. Still Christmas was the season of possibilities. You just might get what you are asking for. That's exciting, as the rest of the year you didn't want to hear that admonishment, you asked for it! You asked Santa, not Jesus for gifts. Santa was a saint after all, Saint Nicholas, but he preferred Santa. I never questioned why he only hired Elves and had flying reindeer. None of that mattered, just ask for what you want. Even when I was old enough, knew the deal, I would still say, I'm asking Santa for this. It was a psychological ploy on my part, trying to fool Mom and Dad. I wonder if it ever worked?
  Then the grandchildren came along and the excitement was renewed once again. There is always that period in between generations when Christmas sometimes becomes more of a routine than a celebration. No one even making believe Santa Claus may bring that gift. It becomes an economic thing, not a spiritual thing. Yes, Santa Claus is a spirit. It is the spirit of possibilities. That is what faith is all about in the first place. You believe it could happen. All things are possible. It's a shame that it only lasts for a few years in the big picture. All too soon the realities of life become apparent when it comes to that sort of thing. You are told to save up, get a job, earn some money of your own, to buy the things you want. It's a bummer. 
  This coming January I am to become a great grandfather. Now, that's exciting news. I only have to wait a few more years to see that excitement once again. I can be Santa once again. Completely anonymous. I love that. When you can give the gift without the other person knowing, or even having a clue just where it came from, like magic. And I get to watch. I am Santa; for a moment anyway. At least my fondest Christmas memories are like that. Oh sure, today I realize someone had to buy those things, they didn't magically appear, but I thought they must have at the time. I believed that. Belief is a wonderful thing. Belief is the foundation of faith. Belief lives in children and we should nurture that. It will grow into faith. We need a lot more of that.  

                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment