Saturday, October 7, 2023

frustrating

  It's been an ongoing issue for a while now, intermittent keyboard issues. Everything may work fine for days and then, just like that, nothing works. After shutting the computer down or running some system checks or a lot of cussing it always begins functioning again. It is quite the frustrating situation. So much so I posted about it on Facebook. Facebook does seem to be an outlet for that sort of thing and I'm not the only one posting their frustrations. Yesterday it was particularity annoying. A good portion of the frustration lies in simply not knowing enough. My keyboard and mouse are both wireless. I'm aware that they work by using a radio frequency. I know that there are two frequencies in common use, although how to determine which one I'm using is lost on me. If they are on the same frequency that could be interfering with one another or perhaps there is another electronic device causing that interference, anything that uses a wireless signal is suspect. This morning I solved the problem temporarily by using a keyboard with a cord on it, going old school. 
  The internet is available to me with its' vast resources. I can research and look up the problem and possibly solutions. There are step by step tutorials readily available for free. It's all there. There is one big problem however, that is knowing and understanding the terminology. I admit I have limited knowledge in that area. I often wonder how people can drive a car without knowing anything about how it works or how to do a simple repair. I marvel at someone that would call a plumber for a leaking Faucett or the toilet doesn't flush. Hiring an electrician to replace a wall receptable or add one to an existing circuit? Why would anyone do any of that, it's so simple. Well now I think I know; they have no understanding of how it works and get lost in the instructions. That is what happens to me with computer repairs, it's down the rabbit hole. I have learned the name of a great deal of the components but do not fully understand how they relate to one another. And then there is the issue of drivers. The drivers don't always go the way you want them to!  The problem lies in what you can't see. I grew up in a world where you could see the problem as long as you knew what you were looking at. That isn't the case with computers. My computer will even tell me I need permission to do that! Hey, I bought you, I own you and I'll decide what I can and cannot do! I don't need your permission! But I do. 
  You see the thing is this. I just want to use the computer, scanner, printer or whatever. I have no interest in learning how it works, why it works, or any of that. I just want to turn it on and do my thing. I suppose that is the way it is with those that are hiring plumbers, carpenters and electricians. They just want it to work. They have no interest beyond that. But having grown up believing in doing it yourself whenever possible, hiring others is the last resort. 
 I have the compulsion to try. It is that compulsion that sometimes leads me down the rabbit hole and into the darkness. I try to understand the steps and procedure to use, following along step by step. But then the step calls for something I have no clue about and off I go to read up on that. Just how do you know what frequency your wireless devices are operating on? Well, the computer itself will tell you if you know where to look. It begins with "type in this command" and then click here, click there, select yes, and close the application. Restart the computer. Okay, now what was I doing? The frustration mounts. I could take a class in all of this, but I have no interest in learning it. That's the bottom line. I just want to use it! The same way some people just want to use others. I don't care what the computer thinks, feels, or wants! I just want what it can do for me. I am not concerned with providing any care, any concern or any empathy! I don't care how it works; I just want it to work. 
  Well, I've got to get back to solving this issue I'm having. I don't give up easily, I just get mad! I figure it isn't the keyboard or mouse as they do function properly, sometimes. It has to be something with the frequency or possibly those drivers. I hesitate to mess around with those, however. Something I learned a long time ago is if you don't know what you're doing it is usually best to not do it. Whenever those instructions involve the registry, whatever that is, or altering the program in some fashion, I shy away from that. I see where there are offers for "free" registry repair programs and all of that but one thing I do know for certain is this, nothing is free. I stay away from those places as well. I do think I have reached the stage where I know just enough to be dangerous. One click could cost me hours! It is best to just leave it alone if you are unsure. But if you have an issue with the ignition timing on your car, need to set the points or whatever, I'm your guy. Don't ask me about electronic ignition systems though.      

No comments:

Post a Comment