Friday, August 4, 2023

Wishful thinking

  August is off to a rough start. The front wheel bearing on my car needed replacing. Well, these things wear out and I simply ordered the replacements I needed. I did have to do some research into the project as I know things aren't the way they used to be. Turns out to do this job I would need a hydraulic press and a variety of accessories to go with that. Ah, easier to just purchase the complete steering knuckle and hub assy. Then I can just replace that without all the hassle of pressing bearing in and out of the housing. Well, things don't always go as planned and there was a bit of a mishap. Now I need to replace the axle assembly as well. It is on order. In the meantime, I need to remove the old axle housing body from the transmission case. A task, I have discovered is far easier said than done. I spent a couple hours attempting that task yesterday and will continue the fight later this morning, between rain showers! Yeah, off to a bit of rough start for the month of August. 
 But I tell myself I like working on cars, doing it myself, saving money and knowing the job has been done right. It's the sense of accomplishment, that sense of empowerment that drives me. Then I laugh and laugh knowing all that is just a bunch of nonsense. Truth is it just goes against the grain to pay someone else for what I know I do myself. I expect that is because of the way I grew up. My dad was a jack of all trades, and I don't recall him paying anyone to fix anything. He did hire a man to dig the hole for a new septic tank, I remember that, but he did all the masonry and plumbing work involved with that project. I have always repaired whatever breaks. As I said it just goes against the grain to hire someone else. My only issue is having a place to work and having the right tools/equipment. I do have quite the tool collection though, what I really need is a garage with a lift in it. That's not happening though. So, I'll go on telling myself it is the satisfaction of getting the job done that makes it all worth it. Another feather in my cap so to speak. I will be buying my lottery ticket for tonight's drawing. This could all change in a heartbeat. If I win, I'm buying that garage. More tools! 

No comments:

Post a Comment