Tuesday, August 1, 2023

It could happen

 The mega millions game has reached a billion dollars. This following the Power Ball game having reached over one billion dollars. It's an amount of money the majority of us can't even fathom. I think even those that are billionaires don't really comprehend that figure. It's an amazing thing if you really think about it. I see advertisements on the television all the time begging and pleading for us to donate 19 dollars a month, just 63 cents a day, to support wounded veterans. If one billion where given to that cause that would equal 52,631,578 months at 19 dollars a month or 4,385,964 years! That billion has been raised with the lotteries several times over! No problem funding vice but a real issue funding an obligation. There can be no doubt that we have an obligation to those wounded veterans to provide them with everything they need. There shouldn't be any need for these fundraising organizations. It makes me mad when I hear that and the next commercial is just 19 a month will rescue a dog or cat! Same price for both? Give that some thought.
 Beyond that thought I wonder about those saying they would need to hire a financial consultant, lawyers, and all of that. The concern being they would have to pay more tax on the money than they feel they should have to. Interestingly this is mostly the same people that figure the rich people have too much money and should pay more. Well, duh, you would be one of those folks if you win a billion dollars. As for me I buy a ticket, sometimes two or three, and enjoy dreaming about winning for a day or so. My plan has always been if I win, give me whatever money you figure I should get. Go ahead and take the taxes out and give me what's left. Currently it is estimated that about 36% of the money will go to federal and state taxes. That leaves me with 64%. Out of a billion dollars that is six hundred and forty million dollars. I feel like that would be good enough. I'm not really concerned about ten or twenty million, more or less. You could finance anything you wanted to buy with that kind of money. I could pay a million a month for 53 years before I would run out of money. Yeah, I could buy just about anything I would want. I could live very comfortably on that. 
 I do think about what I would do with that much money. After paying off all my debts, buying a house and several cars, I'm not sure what I would do. I'm thinking I would just do whatever strikes my fancy at any given moment. For me being wealthy would mean the ability to pay your bills without worry and buying what you want without worrying about the cost. Yeah, go ahead and buy that steak and lobster dinner. It would be great to have enough wealth to leave some for the grandchildren. You know, enough to help them along. But I figure if I win a billion dollars I'll just live forever because I can afford it. That's my plan. 
 It's fun to think about anyway. I've read and heard about how that much money messes up your life. I'd like to take the chance. I really do think I can handle it. Now when I was younger, I don't believe that would have been the case. I don't think I would have survived very long. Fast cars, fast women and booze would have surely done me in. There is no doubt in my mind about that. I'm amazed I made it this far as it is. To say I was less than responsible is a bit of an understatement. Today I just call that experience, the gaining of wisdom. I have to say seeking that wisdom was a lot of fun. Probably a bit more fun that actually having it. Well, they say it isn't the destination that is important, it is the journey. It would be nice to have plenty of money for the tolls though. And no, I wouldn't feel any obligation to pay the toll for anyone else. The Elon Musks, Walton family, Gates or Buffets don't owe me a thing. I do not begrudge them their money. It's theirs to do with as they please. If I win that money, it will be mine to do with as I please. Yeah, that's the plan alright. Now all I have to do is win. I have a one in 302 million chance. It could happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment