Friday, October 14, 2022

Traditional

 For the last few years, I'm not sure how many, I have made a Halloween "Runkin" as a joke. It's how traditions begin you know, by repeating something. Anyway, I saw this on Facebook somewhere as I'm not that creative myself and copied it. Just using a pumpkin, you paint eyes and a mouth with large buck teeth and a "coolie" hat. Ooops I'm supposed to call that headgear an oriental rice hat, my bad. Yes the face is a caricature of an oriental person. That is what makes it funny! That's why I call it a "runkin" because oriental people don't pronounce the letter p. They also have trouble with the letter L. We all know that from our childhood. Well, all we baby boomers anyway. The Saturday morning cartoons were an excellent source of information regarding other cultures and their customs. Mr. Magoo in particular had his houseboy Cholly. There were others like Hong Kong Phooey. All very informative and by todays sensibilities as racist as they come. Again, that's why they were funny. 
 Now when I first saw the runkin I got a great belly laugh for it and just had to make one. I did so for myself but gave it my grandson. He was appalled! OMG Grandpa! Still, I saw the smile on his face, he got the joke. He still won't admit to it though, still pretends like it is so offensive and only tolerates it because of Grandpa. Yes, I continue the tradition of the runkin although I haven't given him one this year. He's 21, out on his own, going to law school, working as a law clerk and engaged to be married next March. He doesn't want anything so "sensitive" associated with him. He hasn't come right out and said so, but I respect that. You do have to be extra careful these days. Just having me for a grandfather can be a liability! LOL He's right in his thinking though, probably best to not have a runkin in your home or on your desk at school or work! 
 I've thought that perhaps one day he would be making a runkin for his children should he have those. The thing is it just won't have the same meaning. Yes, at its' core it is racist. Still, I've always thought it funny, just poking fun at others, it was never meant to hurt anyone. And, face it, it is funny. If we can't laugh at each other, laugh at ourselves, what's the point. Isn't that the reason we imitate each other? It's pretty funny. So when it comes to a runkin I'm thinking his children wouldn't understand, wouldn't get the joke. That's a good thing I suppose. If they were never exposed to racism, never poked fun at others, or understand any of that. But I think you have to be exposed to that in order to fully understand it. I've been called all sorts of names, for all sorts of reasons. I've been made fun of. I'd like to say none of it ever bothered me but that would be a lie. And sometimes whatever I said or did was funny, stupid funny, it happens. No need to be offended by that when others point it out, there day will come. 
 So, I keep making my runkin as a tradition now and will most likely continue to do so. Comedy sometimes makes us nervous or uncomfortable. There are many comediennes today that base their entire show on that. Rodney Dangerfield practiced a mild form of that whereas George Carlin was noted for his use of "language" in his shows. Hilarious stuff, right? The nightclubs are full of folks laughing like crazy at that stuff. The night day at work they are shocked and appalled. Oh, that person was so homophobic making jokes about that, just terrible. Yeah, so terrible the person does sold out shows every night of the week. 

                                                           

   Ah so, Happy Harroreen ! Made for #1 Grandson, Markie San  Is honorable tradition. Traditional racism at its' finest. Still funny. 

1 comment:

  1. YOU and other racists may be the ONLY ones who think making fun of another's race is funny. MOST of us call that bullying. IMMATURITY at its finest.

    ReplyDelete