Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Like it or not

 Likes and dislikes. That is pretty much what I write about. It's a funny thing about that too. It's fine when I write about the things I like even when others don't like it. But if I write about what I dislike, others that like whatever that happens to be get upset. As I said, it's rather a funny thing. Then again, I realize that it is just human nature. I want to convince you to like the things I like, and you want me to like the things you like. Now depending, and to varying degrees, I will respond to your likes or dislikes as they affect me. That is to say, I may or may not respond or react. I have to say in all honesty I don't get that many reactions to my writings, so I take that as a positive thing. In my experience if others don't like what you are saying they are quick to let you know that, much quicker than saying they agree anyway. The best example of that is leaving a comment contrary to whatever on the New York Times website or postings. You will be quickly called all sorts of names and verbally assaulted! Personally, I do that on occasion as a sort of amusement. It's rather like rattling the cage at the zoo. Yeah, I know, you shouldn't do that to the lower primates and animals. My bad.
 A great deal of what I write is a conversation with myself. There are times I just want to get my complete thoughts out without interruption. Writing them down is the best method of doing that. Of course, it isn't much of a conversation really, rather one sided and biased. I'm aware of that and in the end, I evaluate all that. I do read what I have written several times before posting it. I try to guard against too much information. There are certain topics, certain things that others just don't need to know, the things we all groan about and say, that's too much information. And I firmly believe there are other things that are simply no one else's business. I'm just offering an explanation, most of the time, for my thoughts.
 The fact of the matter is quite simple really, everything I write is just my opinion. Whatever analysis I offer, for whatever situation presented, is my opinion. Whether others agree with that opinion or not I have little control over. Well unless I choose to simply pander to the prevailing sentiments. I have never been very adept at that. I was a Navy recruiter for a while and didn't do really well at that either, probably for the same reason, I have a habit of giving my honest opinion. Sales relies on having you want to buy the product. It isn't about lying to the person; it's about having them believe they are making the choice. I'm not selling anything, you're buying. A rather subtle difference and being subtle isn't my strong suit. I tend to just say what I'm thinking. 
 I'm generally skeptical of most promises. Promises are usually given with an expectation of return. Those making the promise generally want something. That's just how people are. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, hedging your bet is a wise choice. Don't make promises you don't intend to keep! That's something I learned early on in life. Politicians want your votes, and so does everyone else when they feel it may benefit them. Now it's great when others agree with you, it is reassuring and makes you feel good. I know I like it when that happens. Thing is you can't let that become a drug. Not everyone will agree with you. I have that happen too. It shouldn't control your happiness. It doesn't make me wrong; it doesn't make them wrong; it means we don't agree. I can live with that. I might even change my opinion, but I doubt it. I don't often do that. Is it confidence or arrogance? Let's just say it is subjective. There is one promise I will make. I won't tell you everything. That's a promise. I'll tell you what I want you to know. Sometimes I'll tell you something you don't want to know. Do I expect something in return? Yes, I do. I'm not much different from everyone else. What I expect is, you are doing the same thing. Probably why I'm skeptical of most promises. 
 I haven't joined any crusades. I'm just not the type I guess to do that. I'll show my support for whatever and show my disapproval of whatever. I have yet to mount any campaign against any one thing. I don't wear ribbons, safety pins, tee shirts, or wave funny flags! I don't feel like I can personally change a thing, I don't have that power. The only thing I can change is myself, and in my opinion, I'm just fine the way I am. Your opinion may be different than mine. That's okay. It would be better if you all showed your support by generously giving to me. A sort of "Go Fund Ben" account. I think I would like that, a lot. Probably not going to happen though, and that's alright too.              

No comments:

Post a Comment