Saturday, October 29, 2022

smart money

 Elon has purchased Twitter. I don't care. Kanye has changed his name to Ye. I don't care. Neither of those things will make the slightest bit of change in my life. I don't tweet. As far as Kanye, Ye or whatever he wants to call himself he also has zero relevance in my life. Of the two Elon Musk is most likely to have some impact on my life although not directly. He is sending people to space, building electric vehicles and out of that science will change. Why he decided to buy twitter I have no idea, I'm thinking just because he can. It'll make money for him in some fashion that much I'm certain of. Rumor has it, it will become a paid platform. I don't doubt that, and I have no doubt millions would subscribe. All social media is a form of vice and people will pay for that! That is a simple universal truth. They might go hungry, be homeless, or be sick but they will pay for their vices whether it is drugs, alcohol, or social media! 
 Now Elon purportedly purchased twitter in the name of free speech. That's one line I've heard. It was reported that Kanyes' account had been unlocked before the purchase, Elon didn't do that. Will he allow Trump back on twitter? Many seem to think so and have expressed great concern about that. I don't see the issue. Trump is entitled to tweet as much as anyone else in my opinion. But, as I've said many times in the past, whoever owns the platform can also block whoever they want. As long as it is free to use, I think that is justified. If I have to pay to use the service that is a bird of a different feather. Profit is always the motive. That's true even if that profit solely benefits the one person, the owner of the product, whatever that product happens to be. Sometimes the profit doesn't have to be money, favor can be equally as valuable. 
 Musk got his start selling some video game platform for 500 dollars. That's what googles says. Some company called Zip2. Whatever, he is now the wealthiest man on the planet. He's got everyone's attention that much is certain. Other than his massive wealth what makes him so special? He's no genius like Einstein, no inventor like Tesla, he has Asperger's as well. Yet, despite all of that, the richest man on the planet. 
 Now Kanye made his fortune selling his fashions. Basically, his stuff sells because of his name. He's a billionaire! His wealth comes from those wanting to be "cool" and wearing the "in" thing in fashion. Yeezy, I believe is what it is called. The more money he made; the more people wanted his fashions. He rode the wave. Nothing wrong with that. It's something I really don't get though. I think I learned a valuable lesson when I bought my first pair of Pro Keds sneakers, with the split leather tops. Cost me 37.50! Yeah, they were cool alright, and lasted a long time, long enough that they went out of style. Ever since I have avoided buying those expensive "in" things and just buy the knockoffs. 
 Well, I have learned over the years that wealth equals influence. If you have enough money people will listen to you. They will take your advice, hang on every word, somehow believing you have some special powers. Wealth and intelligence aren't necessarily related. You don't need one to have the other. That's my thinking anyway. And for that reason, I really don't care about Elon Musk or Ye. I'm not impressed with either of them. Couple of very rich people, no doubt, but other than that I just don't know. They are in a totally different world. 
 There are those that are smart, and there is smart money. One doesn't always follow the other. The smart money invests in vice, always profitable. Fads and fashion come and go. Technology is ever changing. Vice however remains constant. People will always buy that, no matter the price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment