Friday, May 13, 2022

Who's in control

 I am not up on the new vehicles like I was in my younger days. I'm so old I remember waiting until September for the new model year to come out. I'm so old I remember when the new model year cars looked different than previous years. I'm so old I remember gas caps under the rear license plate and taillights! That was innovation. Automatic antennas and radio with am/fm autotuning. But yesterday I was watching a television commercial for a new car. The advertisement centered on this car having Alexa! Yes, an Alexa device is installed! Just ask and go! A regular command and control center in the dashboard. Pretty amazing stuff. Probably not the first car to have this, as I said I'm just not up on all of this. I wondered about the cost however. I remember my daughter in law having a new car some years ago that had internet. You could talk to the rear view mirror and make phone calls. Thought that was neat until she told me how much that cost. On Star I think is what she called it, something like that.
 I wonder if in the future all internet access will be "free." I put free in quotes because we all know there is no such thing as free. But you know what I mean. I've already heard of plans to provide internet and wi-fi to those "underserved" communities. Underserved means, you can't afford all the extras. Will internet access simply become a necessity in the modern world? Hey, people laughed about indoor plumbing at one time. And what percentage of the population now carries a phone with them? The answer is about 94% of the population carry a cell phone! 94%. There are plans for everyone! There are also lots of free hot spots and wi-fi connections available. Will we all pay an internet access tax? I'd say, yes.
  I'm aware that computers have been controlling our automobiles for some time. The electronic ignition systems were perhaps the first incarnation of that. Very reliable but a bit mysterious. That has progressed to what we have today with the ECM's and other computer systems under the hood. I'm woefully ignorant of all of that. I know just enough to know enough to leave that stuff alone! I haven't progressed beyond plugging the code reader device into the diagnostic link connector. I have replaced coil packs instead of just a single ignition coil. Very techy stuff. And now the addition of Alexa. Hey Alexa, where is the nearest cannabis dispensary? Hey Alexa, you drive I'm tired. I guess it is Alexa that is driving in those commercials I see. You know the one, where the family is singing we will rock you while the "driver" takes his hands off the wheel. I'm so old I was taught to keep my hands at ten and two, both hands on the wheel! I just hope the Alexa in the car understands me better than the one in my sons house. It doesn't always get it right! Could be an issue. 
 I don't know how much all of this is connected but I'm assuming it could be. If these vehicles are controlled by Alexa (computers) could they also be controlled from outside sources. Will the Police simply transmit a code to your vehicle? The car pulls to the side of the road, shuts off, and the doors all lock! No running, no escaping for you! And how much information is being stored in your onboard computer, including all communications, inquiries and destinations. Will all that be accessible? I'm certain it would take a subpoena, a search warrant or whatever. So what does that mean? Your vehicle would be impounded until such time as that was settled. Maybe all of that is already happening, I don't know.
 I don't know but makes me a bit nervous and skeptical. Seems like the computers are starting to control us, at least those that control the computers are. It's just that now it's getting on an ever expanding level. Will the speed and spacing of vehicles be controlled? Self driving requires that doesn't it? Will the destination also be controlled? It could easily be accomplished. If you do not have the correct password or QR codes to enter into the computer, access denied. Can you recharge that electric vehicle? Hard to go off the grid when the grid supplies that power! 
 Well, I was upset when the first electronic ignition systems came out. I still don't like all of that or the computers in the cars. I don't trust any self driving, self parking, cars. I admit to using GPS in the car but to be honest I kinda miss the old road maps. At least with those you did "see" other places in between your destinations. Taking a detour was always fun. Alexa, never mind, I'll do it myself! Like Dad always said, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I like the Independence! We are slowly losing that in our everyday lives. Progress? Progressing toward what? Dependence upon technology? Control by satellites? Who is in control of the satellites? That's what we need to be concerned with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment