Saturday, May 14, 2022

Enough

 It shouldn't surprise anyone. The more you get to know someone else, the more likely you are to find something you don't agree with them about. Yet, it is something that happens to all of us. I know I am surprised occasionally by postings on social media. I know others are sometimes surprised by mine. It happens when we begin to think we know the other person and make certain assumptions. For instance, we attended school together. That is to say, we were in the same school, at the same time. It doesn't necessarily mean we knew anything about that person. Many of our classmates we only knew by reputation and gossip. We weren't in their social circle for a variety of reasons. Still, I think I can say with a certain degree of accuracy that the ones I didn't hang around with then, are the ones I wouldn't hang around with today. 
 Getting along with, liking, and loving are all different states of a relationship. I've found I can get along with just about anyone, for a period of time. That probably comes from my time in the service where you had to learn that skill. When you are on a ship at sea for months at a time, you learn. Other than rank, everyone is pretty much in the same boat, no pun intended. You have to interact with them. There were a number of people I grew to like. Never fell in love with any of them though! 
 The thing is this, when you find enough not to like about that person, you begin to not get along. When you just can't get along with someone the best thing to do is just walk away. On social media, just block them. I've done that exactly three times in the last eleven years. There are others I don't block but I avoid interacting with simply because we don't have a lot in common. I can get along with them, doesn't mean I like them. When you like something, you want more of that something. When you love something, you keep it whether you like it or not! One of the mysteries of the human condition. Sometimes we have to let go. 
 How much do you need to know? I guess that is the question here. Will knowing one thing, that you perceive to be negative about a person, prevent you from liking that person? Does it depend upon the severity of the offense? That is to say, if it offends your personal moral code is that sufficient? What about political affiliation? Religious belief? If someone doesn't agree with you, do they become your enemy? How much do you need to know? When is it enough?  

No comments:

Post a Comment