Sunday, May 29, 2022

symbols

 Running later this morning. I was out late last night, well past ten o'clock! I know. But it was a fine wedding and a privilege to be among those invited. Two young people starting out their lives together. It's heartwarming and reassuring to witness traditions being carried forward. Rings exchanged as a symbol of their commitment to each other. Those kids are the same age as my grandchildren! Well, maybe a year or two older, but of the same generation as my grandchildren. It does give one pause to remember and relive moments in your own life. 
 I'll rest up today, put up my bunting for Memorial Day. I will be thinking about Poppies and the fallen. I'll remember the parades of my youth, the "old" people in their uniforms marching to that martial music, the flag waving and solemn tributes. Seemed like everyone wore a poppy back then. Of course, I realize I grew up in a small town and those traditions ran deep in those bygone days. Hard to believe that when I was just a young kid, say ten years old witnessing those parades, it had only been ten years since the Korean War and eighteen since the end of WW2. The memories were quite fresh to those "old" people. 
 To be witness to time is an honor, a gift not given to everyone. When I was a young man, we didn't hear much about heroes. Oh, there were a few names mentioned, the extraordinary men and women that were looked upon in awe. General George Patton, admired and hated at the same time. Ike, Chesty Puller, and Audie Murphy. All heroes. Few veterans of those wars spoke of combat or the hardships they faced. The fallen were rarely mentioned except in the smoke-filled posts of the VFW or the American Legion. Those places were the veterans gathered. Few wore any signs or symbols that they had served at all, at least in the general public. I think it was just a general sense of relief that they had survived, they made it home. That is the hope of every person that has ever served, to just make it back home. In the 1950's and 60's that was enough. 
 Memorial Day is the day to speak of those that didn't make it home. It's a day to remember, to pay homage to them, they are home again in our hearts. In all my family research I have found many that served. I have found that every single one of them returned, as near as I can tell. History has been kind to me and my ancestors. 
 When a veteran passes away, either in combat or due to other circumstance it makes no difference, these words are spoken as the carefully folded flag is handed to the next of kin, “On behalf of the President of the United States, [the United States Army, the United States Marine Corps, the United States Navy or the United States Air Force] and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one’s honorable and faithful service.” Yes, that Flag is a symbol of all that is noble in man. The poppy is a symbol of those that gave that last full measure of devotion. God Bless America.    

No comments:

Post a Comment